Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Tech Talk topic #58

Subject: "DIY web site?" Previous topic | Next topic
eScottyWed Jun-06-07 09:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"DIY web site?"

Hi,
Can anyone recommend an extremely easy approach to do-it-yourself Web site construction? I'm looking to put up a simple site, but do not want to have to learn HTML coding. I need something that is totally simple for a non-techie. I see all these free templates being offered online. Are they the way to go? Can someone suggest which is a good templates-site to try?

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: DIY web site?
Jun 07th 2007
Jun 16th 2007
Dec 29th 2007
Jan 03rd 2008
Jan 29th 2008
Feb 25th 2008

fishrangThu Jun-07-07 02:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: DIY web site?"
In response to Reply # 0

The web hosting company I use, http://cyberhosted.com, offers a program in Fantastico, which comes with each plan, called SoHoLaunch. It is a website building program that is very easy to use. Pretty much a drag and drop type thing. Very simple to use, even if you don't know how to write html.

There are also other website builders, commonly known as WYSIWYG(what you see, is what you get) editors available for free online. There is one that comes to mind, Nvu. Pronounced NView.
I used it until I got to learning more about writting code and then I got Dreamweaver, which is more advanced. You can get the nvu program for free at http://nvu.com.

Hope this helps!

fishrang
www.halfmoonsales.com
sales@halfmoonsales.com

equiprepSat Jun-16-07 04:59 PM

#2. "RE: DIY web site?"
In response to Reply # 0

Go to www.officelive.com this is the easiest and most flexible system from Microsoft and it is free. I have put a client into it to save him money until he really wants to invest in a website.

djc94509Sat Dec-29-07 11:56 AM

#3. "RE: DIY web site?"
In response to Reply # 0

WYSIWYG's can be useful, but again you're having to deal with a learning curve.
Personally I wouldn't do the Microsoft thing, I've heard stories that make me stay away.
I've found the easiest and fastest way to get online is with online site builder programs.
Programs like http://www.EZSiteMax.com step you thru a point and click process that literally gets you live with e-commerce and everything else in under an hour.
Hope this helps

vwdThu Jan-03-08 09:25 PM

#4. "RE: DIY web site?"
In response to Reply # 0

1. Hosting, I suggest lunarpages.com they are reliable and you'll hosting for your website. I don't suggest free hosting as you are trying to sale something.

2. Use an opensource program, they aren't that hard to install and they all have support forums and many will install for free, I'll do it for you contact me. Joomla is the best in my opinion, it's free with free templates that you can edit to suit your needs then later if you do well, have one custom designed.

3. Other useful opensource programs: Wordpress for you blog, PHPBB for your forum, and osCommerce for your ecommerce website. Just type in the names and you'll find them on the engines.

4. If you prefer straight HTML templates then oswd.org provides free HTML templates, you'll need an HTML editor search for free ones on hotscripts.com

any other questions let me know.

V/R,
Donnie
VeteranWebDesign.com

loganbakerTue Jan-29-08 09:09 AM

#5. "RE: DIY web site?"
In response to Reply # 0

You can use one of the above mentioned services/templates....but I would recommened buying your own software (Dream Weaver is great) and learn how to do it yourself. Its not THAT hard and by learning you can update the website whenever you want, or change it completely. Plus its fun!
For a quick, easy and professional fix, consider logoworks . com for $1500 they will create a new logo and 3 page website - pretty good deal.

Thats all I've got!

Logan Baker - President

http://www.vcdsigns.com

A business with no sign is a sign of no business.

saltedMon Feb-25-08 11:05 AM

#6. "RE: DIY web site?"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Feb-25-08 11:10 AM by salted

I'm not familiar with the other methods mentioned above, but I would stay away from those that are specifically called templates. Usually templates are just website files. These are mainly used by web developers who know code and are able to edit the template in a way to adapt to their site and also know how to upload it to the web. I didn't realize that was the case with templates until just a few months ago...I think there are alot of people out there that think templates are ready-to-go websites that are easy to make yourself. I don't know much about Joomla, which is mentioned above, however, so that method might be fine.

Hope that helps and hope you can find a good solution!

Mindy Lepp
http://www.saltedwebsites.com/
$50 off your website if you mention Idea Cafe!!

Lobby Tech Talk topic #58 Previous topic | Next topic