Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby The Daily Grind topic #251

Subject: "Small Biz Gripe" Previous topic | Next topic
LarryHTue Nov-02-10 12:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Small Biz Gripe"

I'm just wondering if there are others like me out there. I'm an advid reader of business books on marketing, sales, and etc, always looking to get ideas and some advice from these books.
My gripe is, that all of these books seemed to be tailored to other executives, for example, I am halfway through a book called Groundswell, it talks about businesses adapting to the Web 2.0 business lifestyle. I try to relate my own small business and situation to some of the things that they are talking about, but it's very difficult.
Is there anyone else out there that is thinking this too???

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Small Biz Gripe
Sep 30th 2010
RE: Small Biz GripeI agree with Larry.....
Oct 07th 2010

spiceoflife1Thu Sep-30-10 10:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Small Biz Gripe"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-30-10 10:30 AM by spiceoflife1

Hi Larry,

Yes, it's tough getting books and articles that seem tailored toward our own situations, but consider that there are 250 million people in the US, and a lot of those folks have their own business, even in specialized industries, there will be various niches and variables that will never make a subject 100%.

I think one thing to keep in mind is to realize that (especially in this information age) as soon as something is published, it is obsolete or will soon be...

The real trick? Gleaning the information from each book or article that IS particular to your product or service and putting it into play; and then staying up on technology so that you don't become obsolete yourself.

Oh, and by the way, because everything becomes obsolete so quickly, if you stay on top of things, it means you are an expert on the subject. So, get out there and keep learning! Don't give up on the books and articles and material available. Then consider writing what IS pertinent to your situation.

Just my 2 cents... Good luck!

Connie and David Spicer, Artists/Entrepreneurs

geekgirlThu Oct-07-10 07:19 AM

#2. "RE: Small Biz GripeI agree with Larry....."
In response to Reply # 0

Everyone has their own unique situation with their business. While you may have the same product as someone else, your business approach may be quite different than theirs, and therefore not the 'same' business.

Read what you can, absorb and take notes on what you think will work for you and your situation, that is all you can do.

I have read a bunch of Napoleon Hill's books. While he may no longer be with us, his concepts and ideas are appropriate and classical.

You can check out his books at http://www.napoleonhillbookstore.com, and there is a selection of titles by other authors that were 'inspired' by Napoleon Hill as well, and some of those stories are amazing.

Disclaimer: You may note that I host that website, but I do not make anything off of any proceeds from sales on that website. It is just that I read many of the titles, and every time I edit a whole page in it for a title, I want to revisit the book!

Lobby The Daily Grind topic #251 Previous topic | Next topic