Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby The Daily Grind topic #150

Subject: ""THE Economy" & Today's World News... what's affecting your business most these days?" Previous topic | Next topic
Francie WardThu Apr-17-08 09:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""THE Economy" & Today's World News... what's affecting your business most these days?"

Hello fellow entrepreneurs,

We hear news of the world and the economy everyday all day...
But what (if anything) does this mean for us and our businesses??

You read; you hear...
"It's THE ECONOMY!!"
"The dollar plummets"
Global Warming
Fuel Costs Skyrocket!
Mortgages and home equity lines tank!
Outsourcing - help or hazard?
The war goes on...
Foreign workers... illegal and legal
Candidates Hit the Campaign Trail
American Idol picks finalists!
Reading levels improve (or decline)
Americans Getting Fatter!

I'd like to know what that's going on in the world or economy really affects your business today.

Please step up and share your stories, rants and raves...
as an enterpreneur.

Tell the rest of us how which headlines are affecting your business in your location in your industry?

Cheers,

Francie

Francie Ward
Founder and Editor-in-Chief
Idea CafeŽ Inc.
"The Fun Place for Serious Business"(sm)
http://www.ideacafe.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: "THE Economy" & Today's World News... what's affecting your business most these days?
Apr 17th 2008
RE: "THE Economy" & Today's World News... what's affecting your business most these days?
May 06th 2008
Jun 10th 2008
Jun 20th 2008

PhanntomThu Apr-17-08 07:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: "THE Economy" & Today's World News... what's affecting your business most these days?"
In response to Reply # 0

A great topic for discussion.

Many of the above "headlines" are closely related. Headlines and news reports nowadays seem to serve more as an explanation for our symptoms rather than looking at what the causes might be.

Fuel costs have risen dramatically over a very short period of time straining both business and personal budgets. Our legislators have gotten on their soapboxes and set up their dog and pony shows making believe they're taking the oil companies to task, yet knowing full well, the problem isn't the oil companies gouging us, but rather they're irresponsible spending. A quick check of the various oil company 10k's submitted to the SEC shows that the margins of the oil companies have remained constant for many years, both gross and operating. Their enormous profits are simply the product of the percentages being applied to larger numbers i.e. 30% of $1.00 is 30 cents, 30% of $100.00 is 30 dollars.

OPEC isn't to blame either, unless you want to blame them for pricing oil in dollars. Because of reckless spending by the Congress, (the President doesn't have the legal authority to spend a dime)and the huge deficits and national debt, the dollar has been plummeting for some time. The dollar has fallen from 82-cents/euro to just under 63-cents/euro in just 2 years. If the dollar has lost 20% of its value, when OPEC sells oil priced in dollars, it's going to be priced 20% higher over that period. Starting right there at it's base, applying the markups at the various stages along the way the price is going to be much higher at the pump. So the Congress can bluster away all they want, until they rein in their spending, the price is going to continue to go up. Their dog and pony show is simply the use of mis-direction to keep us angry with the oil companies rather than see the problem for what it is.

Combine the price of energy with the tight credit and you have a formula for disaster for small and medium sized businesses. Again mis-direction is used to keep us from seeing the problem for what it is. The party line is that borrowers were irresponsible, true, some were, but the real problem is far bigger than that and that's what they're having a hard time containing. The sub-prime mortgage problem is just a small part of the overall problem. Derivatives are the real problem. There isn't time here to give a lesson in derivatives but you can keyword it and you'll get more information that you want. There is currently about $70-Trillion out there in derivatives and no one, not the banks, the Fed, the Treasury or those insuring them can place a value on them. Because of that, we're seeing banks writing down their values little by little even though most are worthless. It's an effort to cover their losses as quietly and gradually as they can to avoid a panic. The people in Congress took the bribe money offered to turn a blind eye to what was going on, now they want to get the bankers up there to berate. I'm waiting for the day that one of these guys when called before the Senate or House says, "I'm sorry Mr./Mrs Senator, I don't understand why you're so upset, we paid you well to leave us alone and now you want us to take all the blame?" That would make for some great tv. I'll continue this discussion tomorrow.

Denny

havemorefunTue May-06-08 07:33 AM

#2. "RE: "THE Economy" & Today's World News... what's affecting your business most these days?"
In response to Reply # 1

Denny...WOW. Thank you for your explaining why my staff of 12 and I are suffering through one of the worst finical downfalls in our spa business in the seven years that we've been open. I am hoping to be able to stay open past this disastrous time, but am wondering now how long a small business such as ours could possibly survive given how deep the trouble runs through the core of our nations finical structure. Holding out hope...Carol NCMT

nightskyTue Jun-10-08 05:41 AM

#3. "RE: "THE Economy" & Today's World News... what's affecting your business most these days?"
In response to Reply # 1

I haven't seen much change in business. I still travel around the country painting my Night Sky Murals (which is a 100% luxury item).

I may have to raise my prices a little to cover the cost of the increased airfare and gas... but oherwise, things seem about the same. I know that one side of the isle tell us that we are in bad shape... but everyone I know is working and is doing well.

Need to go pack for another trip now. Good luck everyone!

Jeff S.
www.NightSkyMurals.com

tettegoucheFri Jun-20-08 08:17 AM

#4. "RE: "THE Economy" & Today's World News... what's affecting your business most these days?"
In response to Reply # 0

Great topic!

I am a musician, singing and playing for weddings, funerals and other events. I recently took my business online and currently have more customers from online than from word-of-mouth.

I have noticed that brides especially are skimping on wedding costs. I understand this and have combined my vocal and keyboard services at a lower cost.

I highly recommend pushing your online presence. People are looking for products and services online more and more these days. With gas prices going up, folks are less willing to drive somewhere to see what they have to offer and are more likely to look online to see what their website offers first.

Lobby The Daily Grind topic #150 Previous topic | Next topic