Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby The Daily Grind topic #130

Subject: "Open Office Concept?" Previous topic | Next topic
mbovairdSun Sep-30-07 05:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Open Office Concept?"

Hi All,

We are in the market for new office space. We have about 12 employees (and growing) and we've typically had a combo office space (some closed offices and a bull pen area). I am toying with the idea of going "Google" - moving in to a completely open concept (except for a board room and small 8 x 8 office for break out meetings (i.e. performance reviews) and wanted to see if anyone else has had any success with this type of environment. We would not be in "cubes" per se, but rather sectionals - whereby the height of the dividers would be a foot or so higher than desk height.

Typically, my employees are on the phone 3 or 4 hours a day and the rest of the time they are preparing documents, writing emails, reading information packets, etc.

Our business requires quite a bit of cooperation amongst team members and I've had this nagging suspicion that we would really thrive under an open office concept. But then again, I've heard horror stories of the office getting so loud that no one can think!

Should we stick with the mixed approach - go all office - or go all open?

Thoughts?

Sincerely,

MB

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Open Office Concept?
Jan 10th 2008
Jan 09th 2009
Dec 16th 2008
Jan 11th 2009
Jan 16th 2009

PepperfireThu Jan-10-08 06:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Open Office Concept?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi MB,

My first thought is that open like that, the office would be loud, but if you want the employees interacting, it'll be like that, you can use sound muffling tiles and carpeting to help lower the noise ratios, like they do for restaurants and clubs.

The other thought I had is to go with a space that will allow you to try the open concept, but if it doesn't work you can close it back up to the cube and closed office that you're used to.

You'll never know for sure unless you try, right?

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

jvoughtFri Jan-09-09 09:47 PM

#3. "RE: Open Office Concept?"
In response to Reply # 1

We tried an open office space for a while and it was just too loud and distracting with multiple projects going on. My studio tends to have 3 things at once. If everyone at your place is working on the same thing then maybe it will work. We had to change office space to have individual "project" rooms with those people in them. Having gone through it myself, I think one gigantic "pit" (as we used to call it), doesn't really work. Every single person from my office gushes how the new arrangement is better. At least have fully enclosed rooms for each "project" so you get the best of both worlds.

jdschultzTue Dec-16-08 08:36 AM

#2. "RE: Open Office Concept?"
In response to Reply # 0

We've got this sort of office setup right now at my job, and I like it, however as has been mentioned it does get loud. It does, however make it easy for collaboration among colleagues which is nice. I would go over a foot though, as most people sit back in their chairs or hunch over you can cut down on a lot of noise by going even 2.5' over the desk height, while it still allows for the collaboration when they sit up.

-Jonathan.

potpourriSun Jan-11-09 07:50 AM

#4. "RE: Open Office Concept?"
In response to Reply # 0

In an open office if you are on the phone with a customer and the noise level around you is quite loud, it is not only distracting to your employee but the customer will find it annoying even more so.

Though some peope do well in this environment, I think the best way to go is either a closed office or, some sort of "it's my space" area. Most people like to have their own space to work in.

Ocha

blog: http://www.infoesource.com/blogindex

Follow Me On Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OchaNix

ddesmFri Jan-16-09 09:28 AM

#5. "RE: Open Office Concept?"
In response to Reply # 0

A couple of things to consider.

Is everyone able to operate in an open concept?
Are there groups that may be distracted from this?

How will the people be organized, i.e. is this a call centre with all sharing same responsibilities or are there smart groups you can make in an open concept with sales, marketing, accounting that may and between groups that may actually help your workflow.

Trying it out won't cost anything, hopefully you can always change back if necessary but have a solid plan and communicate it to the team and the benefit for all and continually reinforce it and you should be ok.

Daryl Des Marais
http://www.usabusinessgrowth.com

Lobby The Daily Grind topic #130 Previous topic | Next topic