Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby BizNames topic #579

Subject: "web site name" Previous topic | Next topic
nightstarFri Sep-14-07 07:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"web site name"

Hi all,

I've been in business for over four years now and want to branch out by adding a website and a small boutique for dogs. The problem is finding a web name that isn't to long but at the same time has something to do with both. Should I have two different web sites and link to each other or just one? My e-mail address is nightstarpuppies@earthlink.net which is really long. I don't have the patience to type it in myself let alone expect a customer to remember it. I've searched godady for almost any combination of (puppy.com or pup.com) and so far they are all taken. Any help or advice would be wonderful, I've been trying to think of something for quite a while and the lightbulb it definitely blown
Thanks
Martha

`

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: web site name
Sep 15th 2007
Sep 15th 2007
Sep 16th 2007
Sep 18th 2007
Sep 21st 2007
Sep 24th 2007

GalaGalSat Sep-15-07 05:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: web site name"
In response to Reply # 0

What is your existing (4 yr) business? And then the boutique would be a separate busines?

nightstarSat Sep-15-07 07:07 PM

#2. "RE: web site name"
In response to Reply # 1

Hello,

I'm have a kennel and sell puppies. I prefer to sell to individuals rather than brokers or pet stores because you never know what happens to the little guys. I don't have a large kennel but have puppies available most of the time. I specialize in three toy breeds: chihuahua's, pomeranians and yorkshire terriers.
I thought the boutique would be a more steady type of income and at the same time help keep my puppies on customers minds. Also do you think I should concentrate on specialty items for toy breeds since that's the type puppies I'll have available?
I would like to concentrate on having a great online presence since a brick and mortar store is unrealistic at this time. A website designer would be great but just isn't in the budget so I need all the help I can get.

Thanks

Martha

`

GalaGalSun Sep-16-07 03:54 PM

#3. "RE: web site name"
In response to Reply # 2

My first thought was that you should name/brand each business activity to be able to focus your marketing efforts more accurately. Your target market for your boutique will probably incorporate both your existting clients (owners of puppies bred by your kennel), as well as other toy owners.

You could separately name/brand the boutique "Daystar Dog Boutique" playing upon "night" and by day, they are out and about wearing your boutique items.

Both nighstarpups.com and daystarpups.com are both available. And you could "tie" them together with one slogan: Day or Night, your Pup is the Star.

Lastly, a website - consider godaddy.com to set up/design a website that is reasonably priced and can also host it for you. You could route both website addresses to a main page and allow the client to chose between the kennel or the boutique - making both types of prospective clients aware of the other side of your business. Additionally, make sure there is a link within each area of the website (the kennel or boutique) to get to the other part.

Good Luck!

*GG*

nightstarTue Sep-18-07 05:45 PM

#4. "RE: web site name"
In response to Reply # 3

Thank you so much for the ideas and information I'm really thankful for any input good or bad. Listening to someone with more experience or imagination than I have is easier than making dumb mistakes. I try to bounce ideas off my husband but he just says they are all good. Which is nice but I know isn't true.

Again thanks a lot if there's anything I can help you with feel free to ask.

Martha

`

hostingdivaFri Sep-21-07 05:27 AM

#5. "RE: web site name"
In response to Reply # 4

I would leave everything on one website just because it doesn't sound like, 1) you have enough product to justify two websites, or 2) there's a need to have two websites. Pupppies and puppy clothes sort of go together... it's not like you're sellling puppies and gold jewelry.

I think the boutique and the pups should be integrated together through out the website because people will see both at the same time which means you have more opportunity to sell.

You could purchase both domain names and then just pick one as the main name and have the secondardy name redirected to the primary so you could give out both and people would get to the same place.

Regarding the type of boutiqe store to sell - it seems like selling stuff for puppies in general would be great. You could even add food - there are lots of people who I'm sure would be happy to do a drop ship type program with you where they pay you a percentage if you sell their goods (or give you a discount). You could find people who make dog food at http://craftersbuzz.com - I've seen gourmet and all natural products listed.

Good luck!!
~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

nightstarMon Sep-24-07 03:36 PM

#6. "RE: web site name"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks for the information. I have contacted a small company based in the U.S.A. that manufactures their product here instead of importing which I really like. And I'm interested in talking to more companies that are U.S. based, so I'll definitely check out the craftersbuzz it sounds like it may just fit my needs.

Martha

`

Lobby BizNames topic #579 Previous topic | Next topic