Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby BizNames topic #5

Subject: "I have a name what do you think?" Previous topic | Next topic
c_patterson04Wed Aug-09-06 05:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I have a name what do you think?"

I am totally new to this. I want to open a boutique and I am not sure how to do this. I really want to sell a mixture of high end clothing, shoes, and accessories as well as some affordable items. I want to call it 500 Shoppe. Is this a good name. I named it this because I think of 500 as being a fancy number(if that makes sense). PLEASE HELP ME!!!
~*~Carla~*~

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: I have a name what do you think?
Aug 09th 2006
Aug 09th 2006
Make it meaningful to the customer
Aug 10th 2006
Avoid Numbers. Use At Your Own Risk
Aug 14th 2006
Aug 25th 2006

HighConversionsWed Aug-09-06 06:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: I have a name what do you think?"
In response to Reply # 0

The 500 is good, but the spelling of "Shoppe" can be a little confusing.

There's a few shops like that around here called the "700 Shop".

maidnncWed Aug-09-06 11:29 AM

#2. "RE: I have a name what do you think?"
In response to Reply # 0

When starting a new business many entrepreneurs may be overly attached to names for which they hold a personal attachment. To better ensure business success you should use a name that will attract customers.

I'd try to think of a name that more closely represents your product line and will instantly tell potential customers what they'll find in your store. "500 Shoppe" doesn't tell me what you sell, to me it almost sounds like a dollar store with 500 items. "A Unique Boutique" "A Boutique Shoppe" are names that come to mind which might bring in some interested high-end shoppers. Also, using "A" as the first part of your name will list you higher in the yellow pages, both hard copy and online!

Log on to yellowpages.com and search big cities for "boutiques" to see what other entrepreneurs have used as their name. As long as you're not in the same city you may consider using a catchy name that you'll find.

Good luck in your new venture!

For everything you'll need to start a cleaning business and keep it growing visit http://www.MaidDocs.com/shop

MarlinCreekThu Aug-10-06 08:18 PM

#3. "Make it meaningful to the customer"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-10-06 08:22 PM by MarlinCreek

I agree with the previous reply... see if the name can describe the business...

Some thoughts..

Where do customers keep the things they buy from you?
Closets...

So...
Contemporary Closets
Classic Closets
Current Closets

Maybe that implies a closet store...

Try different descriptive words (contemporary, classic, current) with a secondary descriptive word like Boutique, Clothing, Accessories, etc...

Marlin Creek - Idea Seeds
http://marlincreek.com

John CMon Aug-14-06 02:16 PM

#4. "Avoid Numbers. Use At Your Own Risk"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Aug-14-06 02:17 PM by John C

Very few businesses or products that have a numeral in the name make it to Number One in sales. Why is this? Simple, because the competiton has better names that can be remembered. Numbers are very hard for most people to remember. Quick, what's your mother's social security number? Tough,huh?

A number in a name will only work if you have little or no competition. Without major competition, it's easy for a consumer to remember the name. There's nothing to confuse the memory. If you are going to be the only one in town selling your product, go ahead and use a number.

Most products that are successful with a numbered name are very old and have been around for forty, sixty and maybe a hundred years. 3M, GE, etc. They started out with little international competition. "VO5" and "WD-40" were launched over FIFTY YEARS ago, again, with little competition from overseas markets. In the fifty's there were only a handful of shampoos on the market. I believe there are over two hundred shampoos on the supermarket shelf today. A numbered name is not going to make it.

I strongly recommend you drop the "500" from your name. I'm not saying you can't be successful. You'll just not be wildly successful. You just will never be at the top of the heap. If you don't mind being #3 or #4, use a number.

In the Fortune 500, "3M" was #100 down from the top. Wal-mart was #2. Good luck.

John C
http://onlyonemark.com

ElleBlueFri Aug-25-06 06:06 AM

#5. "RE: I have a name what do you think?"
In response to Reply # 0

I have to agree with John. Numbers are very difficult and frustrating for most people.

Also, using the spelling "Shoppe" gives the feeling of old and quaint. If you were selling antiques or crafts, then "Shoppe" would be perfect, but not for high end clothing and accessories.

Someone suggested "Contemporary Closet" I like that. Or maybe
a name ending with "collection". The word "collection" signifies clothing as well.

Lobby BizNames topic #5 Previous topic | Next topic