Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby BizNames topic #485

Subject: "Consulting vs Advisors" Previous topic | Next topic
ThalaburtSat Aug-18-07 06:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Consulting vs Advisors"

I'm storming on the name of my new business services company, but I want to stay away from using the 'C' word. I'm thinking about using Advisors instead.

Any thoughts? (Am I overanalyzing this??)

Tom

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

John CSat Aug-18-07 11:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Consulting vs Advisors"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Tom,

You don't understand how names work. Your category or job occupation should NEVER be part of the name. For instance, in the name Busy Beaver landscaping, the "landscaping" is not part of the "name". Yet many owners will capitalize the "landscaping" word. This is incorrect. Landscaping is the CATEGORY, not the name.

By correctness, your business would be Fast Forward consulting. When you capitalize your category (Busy Bee Bookkeeping, etc.) you cause your name to lose distinctiveness. You GET LOST among the hundreds of other competitors and confuse your customer. It becomes harder to remember against other bookeeping services. The customer will "link" your name with the "consulting". It's easier to remember the name when it stands alone.

So strictly speaking "consulting" is not part of your name. You should have it near the name, just don't capitalize it.

What you want to call your occupation is A DIFFERENT PROBLEM. But it's not a name problem. If you make it part of the name, you have made a serious marketing error. Your name will be less memorable and less attractive.

(correct examples: Pipe Down plumbing, Bright Stripes paving, Snappy Snaps photo developement.)

If the name you picked doesn't sound right without the "advisors" attached to it, this means you have a bad or generic name. Like using your last name, or geographic area, or initials, etc. THE NAME MUST STAND ALONE.

I personally think advisor is too informal and unprofessional. But that's just MY opinion. I don't know your exact situation.

Good luck and get excited. You are going to have your dream!

http://www.onlyonemark.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby BizNames topic #485 Previous topic | Next topic