Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby BizNames topic #1380

Subject: "Residential construction" Previous topic | Next topic
csmouseSun Apr-11-10 04:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Residential construction"

Starting on my own after 15 years in this business of residential and small commercial construction. Need a name to stick out. The yellow pages are overflowing with "...construction company" type names. I specialize, but am not limited to carpentry. Would like to avoid "construction" in the name connotates builing roads or something. Builders and homes is an alternative. Here are some brain storms...

Building solutions (need to add to web domain not available)
Home Works
Ideal builders
Home Craftsmen
Home crafters

I have been thinking a lot, but not in lve with any of them. Any help would be appreciated.
Chris

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Residential construction
Apr 13th 2010
Apr 17th 2010
Apr 18th 2010

DanLaBateTue Apr-13-10 09:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Residential construction"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Chris,

One thing that you may want to be conscious about is how your
name applies to the web and people searching for your service.
You don't want to get too far away from industry keywords in your name, this can have a slight negative effect on your online presence.

I like "Home Works" especially for your residential side as it applies to home repair, home remodeling etc.

Another thing to consider is how your name will translate into a logo. Some names are easier to design for and can relate better to people.

You may also consider adding a secondary tag line i.e.) Home Works - Quality Home Construction or something similar.

I hope this helps a bit, good luck!

Thanks,
Dan La Bate
COO & Director of Marketing- Engines of Creation.com
http://enginesofcreation.com
Phone: 518.842.3242
Fax: 866.643.4125
dan@enginesofcreation.com

hostingdivaSat Apr-17-10 09:25 AM

#2. "RE: Residential construction"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Chris:

I know you want to stick out but you don't want to stick out too much. It's important to have the words construction (if you're actually doing construction) in the name because it lets people know right away what you do. You don't want to have them guess - right?

So the question is are you doing construction or carpentry type stuff? To me, construction is building a house (or a building) and carpentry is doing work inside the house (like carving a banister, putting up kitchen cabinets, etc). You have to figure out how broad you want to go with your business.

Home Works is a great name, but it's been taken since 1995. But, it looks like the company may be out of business because it's owned by kitchenworks.com and that website says they're no longer in business. If you're interested in the name, you may want to contact the owners to see whether they would be interested in selling.

Otherwise, consider adding your last name to the front like SmithHomeWorks.com

How about these names:
CarpentryUnlimited.com (currently for sale)
SolvingHomeProblems.com
FixingtheCracks.com
FromCarpetrytoBuilding.com
CarpetrytoBuilding.com

Hope some of these help

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

csmouseSun Apr-18-10 03:19 PM

#3. "RE: Residential construction"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for you suggestions. My wife has come up with the word Crossbeam... Her thoughts...Main support for a structure...beam as in a beam of light. Lots of illituration. She thinks it's the best thing yet.

Point well taken with construction in the name. Does it need to be a part of the name or can it be addded as a "talking logo" type thing.

Crossbeam Homeworks Carpentry and Construction
Crossbeam Construction
Crossbeam Construction..."Your source for quality construction and craftsmenship"

I am not sold on the crossbeam thing. I am not sure it is a name that sticks out, but I may be wrong.

Thanks for your help. All I have read says you need impartial opinions to get it right.

Chris

Lobby BizNames topic #1380 Previous topic | Next topic