Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby BizNames topic #1201

Subject: "Is it legal to use "Inc." in a business name if the business is NOT a corporation?" Previous topic | Next topic
InfamousMFri Jul-31-09 04:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is it legal to use "Inc." in a business name if the business is NOT a corporation?"

Is it legal to use "Inc." in a business name if the business is NOT a corporation?

Does anyone have any insight into this --or an idea of who/where to ask? It's on my list for my next meeting with my lawyer, but...

The purpose is not to mislead, but to add interest to the name (like the movie "Monsters Inc." for instance...does not say nearly as much as just "Monsters")

Any thoughts?

Any feedback of why this would potentially dissuade you as a customer regardless of legality?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Is it legal to use "Inc." in a business name if the business is NOT a corporation?
Jul 31st 2009
RE: Is it legal to use "Inc." in a business name if the business is NOT a corporation?
Aug 04th 2009
Aug 05th 2009

Texas2sumFri Jul-31-09 01:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Is it legal to use "Inc." in a business name if the business is NOT a corporation?"
In response to Reply # 0

Quite simply, no. It is not legal to use the Inc. or Incorporated declaration in the business name if it is not. This would be considered a type of business fraud or deceptive trade practice.

The point of a Incorporation is the special protections it offers the business in terms of taxes, personal iability etc.

Mitch Haynie
M2greensources.com
Passion + Persistence + Perseverance = Success!

InfamousMTue Aug-04-09 04:45 PM

#2. "RE: Is it legal to use "Inc." in a business name if the business is NOT a corporation?"
In response to Reply # 1

Thank you, this is what I thought. I understand about the liability in misleading consumers if they thought certain protections were offered that indeed weren't given the "inc"

I'm open to alternative suggestions if others have any. So far I have "company name" unlimited, studio, international.

hostingdivaWed Aug-05-09 05:41 AM

#3. "RE: Is it legal to use "Inc." in a business name if the business is NOT a corporation?"
In response to Reply # 2

What's the company name?

Why not just use "company name" on it's own? Why do you need something after the name?

~~~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

Lobby BizNames topic #1201 Previous topic | Next topic