Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby BizNames topic #11

Subject: "Name a Design Advertising Group" Previous topic | Next topic
gintyThu Aug-10-06 04:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Name a Design Advertising Group"

I've been freelancing for a while and am going to start up a small agency. I need a name and I haven't been able to settle on one.

It could end with design, agency, creative, media, group or who knows maybe something else.

Some things that are important to me; I believe that a successful project requires three things: Engaging or innovative design, beautiful execution (code, layout etc) and open communication between the client and the agency.

I also believe that the point of design and advertising is to stand out from everyone else in your field ? to be different.

The focus of this team is on design and advertising through print, web and possibly video.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

MarlinCreekThu Aug-10-06 08:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "Tangible vs. Intangible"
In response to Reply # 0

Names are such a tricky thing... It can sometimes make or break the business.

I think that both Entrepreneur and Business 2.0 magazines had recent (past year or so) articles about business names... I would search their sites for them.

But my recollection was that the current preference is to have a name that describes the business... so that potential customers could easily determine what it was you offered.

If you went for an "intangible" name (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.. what did they mean when they first started?) it needs to be easy to spell (phonetically) and catchy.

If you went for a tangible name it needed to be simple enough for people to remember it and link it to what you did.

I'm not the best example... I'm using Marlin Creek as a business idea site. However, Marlin Creek can be perceived as a physical place (like a resort)... which was important to me to establish a future physical existence in the online world.

Also to be considered is how big of a geographic area do you want to cover? 3rd Coast Creations might work well if you are on the 3rd coast (Gulf of Mexico coast)... but would lose meaning to your NY customers.

Summary thoughts...
1. Intangible names rely upon marketing for people to tie the connection between the name and the business
2. Tangible names can easily describe your service but may come across as too generic
3. Physical references can imply stability and long term commitment

Marlin Creek - Idea Seeds
http://marlincreek.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby BizNames topic #11 Previous topic | Next topic