Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby eCommerce topic #497

Subject: "Mini sites" Previous topic | Next topic
tomwiWed Jul-07-10 10:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Mini sites"

I'm starting a web site that consist of mini web sites of business around the area for a small fee.You can't buy off the site, not yet anyway. What is a good rate to charge and what is the best way sale my service to potential clients. www.wix.com/thomwic/CumberlandShopping

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Mini sites
Sep 30th 2010
RE: Mini sites
Sep 30th 2010

spiceoflife1Thu Sep-30-10 09:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Mini sites"
In response to Reply # 0

I would think the best way to approach it is a market study, to find out what your area can afford, what the value of the service holds for your location, who you might be competing with already and what local businesses NEED from your service. As you perform the market study, you may also discover other needs so you can tweak your business idea. If you fail to do this step, why not give your money to me? I could use it...

Obviously, something in parts of Ohio where it is amazingly depressed is going to be a harder sell if offered at a higher price point versus places in Texas or Washington, for example, that are not having the same recession issues -- or places in the south. You need to have a focused plan of action in order to be comfortable going to the businesses and offering the service and knowing it is going to work.

Market study should discuss 1) what are they paying for print ads already, (or are they) 2) costs for radio, tv and other media 3) costs for online/web/social websites. Then you would need to determine who is using online services and approximately how much they are paying. Every budget is going to be different so you need to be clear about who it benefits, why it benefits them and why they need you to get them going in it. If your service is going to survive, it needs to have value, appeal, consistency and it must be visual...

My 2 cents.

Connie and David Spicer, Artists/Entrepreneurs

spiceoflife1Thu Sep-30-10 09:59 AM

#2. "RE: Mini sites"
In response to Reply # 0

OK-I took a gander too, which I didn't do when I first responded. So, if I get this right, what you are offering is and advertising portal that takes the potential customer, with a click, directly to the small businesses' own website. You place what amounts to a business card ad onto your front with the embedded link and go from there.

First of all, nice visual on the website-to see the distinct area where the shopping is available. Some companies are not going to "get it" until they use it... You might see if the local chamber of commerce has any kind of media auction also, so you can give away a spot or two to build up your page with these local businesses. It looks to me like you aren't going to get consistent traffic (70 hits? Not too good yet; I'd kill the counter for now...) until you get a page full of business listings. So, give a few away every couple of months. It's a tax write-off for you (please check with your CPA and keep good records - I AM NOT A TAX ACCOUNTANT AND THIS IS PERSONAL ADVISE FROM A NON-TAX PRO)... Also, try to get the Chamber on board. They need to advertise also, and a link to the Chamber can mean big hits for you...

Also, I have a big (21") screen, but I still don't get the whole picture (literally) from your wallpaper. I get "Cumberland Shoppi" and part of the "N", and then I have to scroll... You may need to adjust that so it fits properly or some folks ads' may not properly appear. Keep in mind, people don't want to scroll left and right. They want it right there in front of them! Might put your tabs at the top, since you aren't using sidebars, or put links to your service where people can see them also. They need to be able to get in touch with you if there is a problem.

Also, consider positioning as part of the sales toolbox. If they want TOP listing, it should cost more than BOTTOM page listing (or even a free listing), especially if they have to scroll down?

Would you consider affilliate listings? Are you offering any out-of-area listings? Are you offering competing listings (2 hair salons, 2 fast-food restaurants, multiple boutiques) and what form is this taking? Who does the artwork? Do they have to do it or do you? That should run a bit more....

I could probably come up with several other things, but feel like I'm already nagging, sorry.

Looks like you have a nice idea, but may want to expand on it to really put it out there for your clients and their customers.

Good luck,

Connie and David Spicer, Artists/Entrepreneurs

Lobby eCommerce topic #497 Previous topic | Next topic