Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby eCommerce topic #439

Subject: "starting new business online...legal questions, DBA, state ?" Previous topic | Next topic
jenfaganWed Apr-15-09 10:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"starting new business online...legal questions, DBA, state ?"

Hi, I am creating a website that is similar to a Craig's List type of community based website but different in many ways. The website is now built and almost ready to launch, but I do not know where to start registering my business (DBA?) and legal matters.

I still have to create terms of use and most likely have the business be an LLC. What are the steps...we have a name and a website. Which state do I register the business with...I live in NY and my co-partner lives in NJ. The business will be servicing all states. Where do I register the business...do I need a DBA? or can I just form an LLC. we have already spent a lot of money...and I am hoping to launch it with out a lot of red tape and money. Do I need to hire an attorney.. Thanks for any help!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: starting new business online...legal questions, DBA, state ?
Apr 27th 2009
May 22nd 2009
May 22nd 2009

hostingdivaMon Apr-27-09 10:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: starting new business online...legal questions, DBA, state ?"
In response to Reply # 0

If you have a partner, do you have some form of partnership agreement? Make sure that you print out the e-mails where both of you have discussed your understanding of the partnership. If you haven't had this type of discussion, I would sincerely advise that you talk about this now. Keep in mind that whether you succeed or fail is not the issue - you just want to make sure that you have everyone's responsibilities clearly outlined.

Regarding the legal structure. A DBA (i.e., doing business as) is usually something you get when you are going to be a sole proprietor and you just want to use a business name. So, Joan Smith doing business as Smith's Window Services. This way, if someone writes a check to Smith's Window Services, your bank will accept the check. An LLC is a legal structure that limits your liability. You have to file both with your state. You can do it with NY or NJ. They do have different laws but since you probably don't care at this point, doesn't really matter. The business can be registered anywhere - doesn't matter. It will matter when you have to pay taxes.

You can find links here for NJ: http://craftersbuzz.com/businesslinks.cgi?state=New_Jersey
and here for NY: http://craftersbuzz.com/businesslinks.cgi?state=New_York

You should get an LLC because that will actually give you some legal protection if someone sues you.

I would keep in mind that if you are providing services like Craiglist - they get in all kinds of trouble all the time. They've been sued by several states and others:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7928148.stm
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Craigslist_sued_for_hosting_discriminatory_housing_ads
If you plan on growing, it really would be in your best interest to consult an attorney to make sure you get the proper legal structure.

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

AntherryFri May-22-09 04:48 PM

#2. "RE: starting new business online...legal questions, DBA, state ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Your LLC consists of two things- 1. Articles of Organization and 2. an Operating Agreement. Your Operating agreement IS your partnership agreement. It is filed with the state. It OVERRIDES state law so draft it carefully. If something in your agreement is not addressed then state law takes precedence.

In our Operating Agreement we have it set up where we each pick an outside person to settle a dispute...if the outside people cannot agree then we flip a coin for who gets to make the decision.

Also, you can, and probably SHOULD do a DBA WITH your LLC... Your LLC is a separate entity... so we are ESC Companies dba Flippij . This is because we have several companies and brand names, each with their own DBA.

You do not have to hire an attorney now... but if they do write your Operating Agreement for you it would be easier for them to defend later. But they just use templates too for the most part.

What you need to do FOR SURE... if you get started and make some money then definitely hire an accountant... they are worth every penny.

Thanks,
Berry
Want to start an online newspaper? Visit www.flippij.net/news

AntherryFri May-22-09 05:42 PM

#3. "RE: starting new business online...legal questions, DBA, state ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Your LLC consists of two things- 1. Articles of Organization and 2. an Operating Agreement. Your Operating agreement IS your partnership agreement. It is filed with the state. It OVERRIDES state law so draft it carefully. If something in your agreement is not addressed then state law takes precedence.

In our Operating Agreement we have it set up where we each pick an outside person to settle a dispute...if the outside people cannot agree then we flip a coin for who gets to make the decision.

Also, you can, and probably SHOULD do a DBA WITH your LLC... Your LLC is a separate entity... so we are ESC Companies dba Flippij . This is because we have several companies and brand names, each with their own DBA.

You do not have to hire an attorney now... but if they do write your Operating Agreement for you it would be easier for them to defend later. But they just use templates too for the most part.

What you need to do FOR SURE... if you get started and make some money then definitely hire an accountant... they are worth every penny.

Thanks,
Berry
Want to start an online newspaper? Visit www.flippij.net/news

Lobby eCommerce topic #439 Previous topic | Next topic