Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby eCommerce topic #397

Subject: "Ecommerce site" Previous topic | Next topic
rebecca676Wed Jan-07-09 07:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ecommerce site"

I am looking for a hosting company that will allow me to design my own website. By my "own" website I mean that I do not want to have to use templates or the company's design software. I know absolutely nothing about site design, but I want the freedom to make my site whatever I want it to be. It also needs to be an ecommerce site. Does anyone know which hosting services will match my needs? Thanks in advance for your help!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Ecommerce site
Jan 14th 2009
Jan 14th 2009
Jan 14th 2009
Jan 15th 2009
Jan 15th 2009
Mar 11th 2009
Mar 11th 2009
Mar 11th 2009
Mar 11th 2009
Feb 10th 2009
Feb 19th 2009
Mar 12th 2009
Mar 13th 2009

saltedWed Jan-14-09 03:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Ecommerce site"
In response to Reply # 0

So, you're basically looking for a hosting company w/ a web designer to design what you want?

Mindy Lepp
http://www.saltedwebsites.com/
$50 off your website if you mention Idea Cafe!!

rebecca676Wed Jan-14-09 08:58 AM

#2. "RE: Ecommerce site"
In response to Reply # 1

Not exactly. I don't want anyone to design it for me. I want to be able to design it myself.

saltedWed Jan-14-09 10:53 AM

#3. "RE: Ecommerce site"
In response to Reply # 2

If you're not using their templates or their software, then you would have to learn website coding and/or get some software yourself
(such as dreamweaver or golive), which could be costly, if you're doing it all yourself. If you have something specific in your head, you could describe it in detail to a web designer (we do this, in case you're interested: www.leppdesign.com), then they could actually build it with code for you.

Some hosting companies do offer eccommerce software, but depending on the kind they've chosen to offer, you could be limited on the design of it.

Mindy Lepp

rebecca676Thu Jan-15-09 08:52 AM

#4. "RE: Ecommerce site"
In response to Reply # 3

As you said, I looked into some of the companies that offer ecommerce software but I was not happy with how limited I would be.

This is why I decided to just do the site myself. Now my issue is what hosting company to use. Do you happen to know which companies would give me complete design control? I keep running into the ones that only allow you to use their software.

Regarding a site designer, I always assumed that route would be more expensive than doing it myself. Am I wrong? What about changes and updates? After a while wouldn't it be more cost effective to know how to do these things myself?

Thanks for all your help!

saltedThu Jan-15-09 10:00 AM

#5. "RE: Ecommerce site"
In response to Reply # 4

We just started using hostgator for our clients and they seem to be a pretty good company for hosting. Any reliable hosting company will allow you to be able to create your own code and then upload it to their site. You said you don't know any code yet, though, correct? Most of them also provide software for do-it-yourself-ers.

Site designers can sometimes be costly, depending on your needs and their professionalism/experience. You could also have the web designer/developer add what's called a content management system. This allows you certain control over editing your website. We offer this on our Salted Websites (ready-made sites). However, if you are trying to put the site together yourself using web design software such as dreamweaver (cost is $399) and adding up all the time it takes to learn it, you could almost end up at the same cost. If you really want to learn this yourself by learning code and such, just be prepared to be really dedicated to learning it It took me 1-2 years to learn php, a certain website code, and I still feel like a beginner!

As far as ecommerce, there are some shopping cart software companies that allow you some flexibility in designing it. I use Avactis and have been really happy with them so far.

If you have any other website questions, feel free to ask!

Mindy Lepp

rebecca676Wed Mar-11-09 07:44 AM

#8. "RE: Ecommerce site"
In response to Reply # 5

I looked at your site. It seemed to be only for Christian companies. Is that the case or did I read it wrong?

saltedWed Mar-11-09 08:20 AM

#9. "RE: Ecommerce site"
In response to Reply # 8

No, our websites are not just for Christian companies. We are a Christian company, but we serve all clients, unless, of course it's something we don't feel is morally right, like inapropriate pictures or something. That's all

Mindy Lepp

rebecca676Wed Mar-11-09 08:23 AM

#10. "RE: Ecommerce site"
In response to Reply # 9

Oh ok. I'm still looking and really appreciate all your help!

saltedWed Mar-11-09 08:36 AM

#11. "RE: Ecommerce site"
In response to Reply # 10

No problem! Just let me know if you have any more questions !

Mindy Lepp

phillrwTue Feb-10-09 11:24 AM

#6. "RE: Ecommerce site"
In response to Reply # 0

Did you find a site yet. I have websites that are completly customizable by you. Once you purchase the site you can change anything on it including the whole design if you want. We have hundreds of templates to choose from. Professional Tech support and you will also be added to over 165,000 web portals for free. We currently have over 3 million customers. There is some free advertising for you. We also have free lifetime upgrades. COntact me if you are interested.

Bases Loaded marketing

earningcentsThu Feb-19-09 12:40 PM

#7. "RE: Ecommerce site"
In response to Reply # 0

Try pagebuzz.com they have simple to use tools, layouts and hosting. They also have great support by phone so when you don't know something you can call.

Regular hosts wont answer HTML questions or help you build pages. But pagebuzz is designed for people that don't know what they are doing but need a website. So they are used to dealing with people who have no experience.

Their shopping cart is also a monster of a program. I heard they were up for best shopping cart of the year, that should tell you something.

They have a working demo, so you can go in and test it out and see how it works before you buy it.

jkundertThu Mar-12-09 03:40 PM

#12. "RE: Ecommerce site"
In response to Reply # 0

i can host your site for you, check out my site, i won't help you build it but if you have questions on design i will give you tips, lets talk.

Joshua Kundert
Joshua Kundert consulting
http://joshkundertconsulting.com
josh@joshkundertconsulting.com
866-584-6508

rebecca676Fri Mar-13-09 10:14 AM

#13. "RE: Ecommerce site"
In response to Reply # 12

I was looking at Microsoft Office Live but they recently decided to stop offering ecommerce. They are recommending Zoovy, but I don't know anything about them yet. Every time I think I'm starting to figure something out there is some sort of problem!

Lobby eCommerce topic #397 Previous topic | Next topic