Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby eCommerce topic #346

Subject: "Tips on how to optimize my site" Previous topic | Next topic
NoOrdinaryThingSat Jun-28-08 08:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tips on how to optimize my site"

I have been working diligently on getting my website up. I finally have gotten to the point where it is live. Now my next step is figuring out how to make it SEO ready, and other ways to market it. I would love any input on the site itself www.noordinarything.com (I realize it needs quite a bit of work), what is good (if anything!), and what is bad. I know there are some issues, such as currently my URL is redirected, which I just found out effects my SEO submission. I have very little knowledge of the ins and outs of these things and have had quite a difficult time with the company I hired to design my site. Any suggestions concerning my html code, keywords etc. are welcomed, as I plan to take that back to my tech support to fix.

Also what should my steps be in the next coming weeks to get some traffic? My budget is exhausted, so any free ideas would be awesome. Exactly how to I plan a marketing campaign (getting links, submitting articals etc.) I know this is a lot. ANY help would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

Children's Designer Clothing and Made2Match Accessories!

www.noordinarything.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Tips on how to optimize my site
Jun 29th 2008
Jun 30th 2008
Jul 01st 2008

phardytechSun Jun-29-08 09:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Tips on how to optimize my site"
In response to Reply # 0

Hello,

Synopsis:

When it comes to retail, traditional SEO does not work as well compared to service-based businesses. There are some things you can do to make your site search "friendly", but optimizing it in the traditional sense is a lot more challenging.

Reason:

The reason why is because if your inventory changes frequently (ie - product availability), by the time you "optimize" each product page for the search engines and the search engines "rank" them, the product may no longer be available (ie out of stock or flat out discontinued).

Solution:

There is a special group of search engines on the Internet known as product search engines, shopping web sites, comparison search engines or CSE's. CSE's are specifically designed for retailers like yourself because:

1) They are better designed to help you market specific products

2) The target market consists of visitors - no, * shoppers * looking to buy a product or some sort of tangible item - not someone simply looking for "information".

The "big three" (Google.com Yahoo.com and MSN.com), are "information-based" search engines. They're best suited for "information"-based sites. CSE's are designed for product-based sites.

At our company, we always encourage retailers to make their site search friendly for the "information-based" search engines so products can be indexed, but if you could also market your products straight to your target market, why not?

Here are some of the CSE's you can market to:

google.com/products
shopping.yahoo.com
shopping.msn.com

Notice the sites above are owned by the "big three". They are different than google.com, yahoo.com and msn.com. The three above are known as * shopping * sites, shopping search engines, shopping desinations or simply CSE's. There are approximately 40 CSE's on the market today and there are *millions* of people who use them everyday. More so during the end of the year holiday season in the U.S.

If you want to learn more about CSE's or you need assistance in using them to help you generate traffic to your website, you can do the following:

1) Visit http://www.phardy.com. Scroll 1/2 way down the page and on the left-hand side, enter your name and email address. Then check your email and follow the instructions we'll send to you. When complete, we will start sending you information not only on CSE's but also how to increase your online store's profit 40% or more in a year.

2) Give us a call at 800-896-4022. You can ask for me (Patrick), and I'll explain to you how these CSE's work.

Regards,

Patrick Hardy

P Hardy Technologies, Inc.
50 Charles Lindbergh Blvd. #400, Uniondale, NY 11553
1-800-896-4022 (phone) 516-342-4825 (fax)

saltedMon Jun-30-08 09:46 AM

#2. "RE: Tips on how to optimize my site"
In response to Reply # 1

I looked at your site from a design perspective and I like the choice of colors. It's very fun and definitely kid-friendly.

You could do a bit more with the SEO on the home page in your meta keywords and description. Just putting "Boy, Girl, Baby" is way too general. You'll need something more specific to make you stand out from the rest. Choose some keywords and a description that is more specific and unique to you.

Mindy Lepp
http://www.saltedwebsites.com/
$50 off your website if you mention Idea Cafe!!

tettegoucheTue Jul-01-08 09:16 AM

#3. "RE: Tips on how to optimize my site"
In response to Reply # 0

I like where you are going with the site design. I would suggest having a web designer clean it up for you. That is your biggest key to keeping traffic that comes your way. Also, expanding your meta tags wouldn't hurt.

Point of design: There is too much small font text on the home page. It is not immediately clear what your company does. You should have an easily read, short description of your company. If you make it too much work for a visitor to move around your site and read all the information, they will likely turn around and look for something easier to digest.

Best,

www.HostRail.com

www.DylanDesignLab.com

Lobby eCommerce topic #346 Previous topic | Next topic