Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby eCommerce topic #284

Subject: "Where did you learn SEO?" Previous topic | Next topic
tiffanyWed Dec-12-07 10:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Where did you learn SEO?"

Just a question, for the pros out there that are billing people for SEO services, where did you learn it? I am self taught, with I am sure more to learn. I have not seen any classes offered in SEO at any campuses and I am just curious how people learn and than get paid to provide these services to others.

Thanks I look forward to hearing from you!

Tiffany Rosinski
http://www.thebarefootmommy.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Where did you learn SEO?
Jan 03rd 2008
Jan 04th 2008
Jul 14th 2014
Jul 21st 2014

vwdThu Jan-03-08 09:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Where did you learn SEO?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think experience and results is what does it. You have to be ranked yourself for one, then you have to provide results.

Along with that is your competence of SEO. You get paid because you know what you are doing, there isn't a secret to it. You can do it yourself or use someone that has their own successful techniques.

My clients utilize me because I know what I'm doing and it makes it easier for them, especially if they are too busy which is the case most of the time.

When someone pays for SEO work, they are too busy to do it, non-technial, or have a product that needs faster results than what they can do for themselves.

V/R,
Donnie
VeteranWebDesign.com

justsomeoneFri Jan-04-08 12:26 AM

#2. "RE: Where did you learn SEO?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-04-08 12:26 AM by justsomeone

Experience is the only teacher for SEO. You need to have been doing it for a while, and you need to be doing it often, as it's always changing.

You also need to have a deep understanding of and contribution to the design, development and marketing of the website.

There were plenty of cowboys who started out offering SEO "tricks" like gateway pages, cloaking, hidden text, board spamming and all sorts of things. These operators ultimately hurt their businesses, as the search engines reacted to them.

The better search engines use complicated and secret algorithms to determine popularity. It's no longer just about how often a word or phrase appears in your text or what meta tags you have. These are important, but not everything.

So far, I've been very successful at the SEO work I have done, but the more competitive the industry you're representing and the more crowded the field, the more work it takes to get to the top and stay there. I always tell my clients that while I have a good record of getting top 3 rankings, with a lot of number 1's, I can't guarantee it - any more than a successful sports manager can guarantee to win the league every year.

Jack
mrjhealy@gmail.com

PhanntomMon Jul-14-14 09:19 AM

#3. "RE: Where did you learn SEO?"
In response to Reply # 0

Everyone learns SEO the same way you did...self-taught. Once you're confident you know enough to be of some value to a potential client, hang out your shingle.

The problems with classes in SEO is, by the time you finished the class, what you learned at the beginning would already be obsolete as the search engines are constantly modifying their algorithms to compensate for SEO tactics intended to take advantage of it.

Denny

TerryhopperMon Jul-21-14 04:44 AM

#4. "RE: Where did you learn SEO?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think you can learn seo from here https://www.distilled.net/blog/seo/learning-seo-where-to-start/,

Lobby eCommerce topic #284 Previous topic | Next topic