Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby eCommerce topic #175

Subject: "How Important is Website Optimization?!" Previous topic | Next topic
Dallas42Sun May-27-07 06:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How Important is Website Optimization?!"

This is not a question that I need an answer for, but rather, a question to provoke thought on this particularly important subject matter.

Most everyone knows that the internet is a powerful marketing tool, but just how to let people know how to find your website is a tough issue, unless you have alot of money to spend on advertising. Even then, it will depend on how well or marketed your advertiser is that will determine if your own site is found through the advertiser.

What exactly is "optimization"? In simple terms, SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is how the content of your website is written and submitted to the major search engines.

Several years ago, I decided to build my first website. I bought the necessary software to build websites and was successful in putting together a pretty nice little site. It was called Decals for Less and my desire was to start an online decal business. I spent several months putting this together, yet I had very little web traffic and very few sales. Most of my decals were sold through Ebay and people who found me there found my website this way. It was obvious that I needed traffic to my website if I were going to sell my decals.

I began looking at ways to do this and advertising was an option, so I tried Google Adwords. This was a "pay per click" program that allowed me to submit search terms that related to my business and if my site were found and someone clicked on my link, they would be directed to my website. The result was that I spent money, but made less.

Not willing to give up, I began looking at how search engines work and studying the art of SEO. It did take an extended period of time (years) to actually learn how to do this sucessfully, but ultimately, it was worth all the time spent.

Today, the part time decal business has become a full time sign company and ALL of my clients find me on the internet. The name of my company is Dallas Sign Company. If you use Yahoo search and type in Dallas Sign Company, you will find my company listed as #1. I am also at the top of MSN search results.

So, I ask the question: How important is website optimization? The answer is pretty obvious.

If you do not have a website, get one. Then, optimize your site or have it optimized by someone willing to guarantee results, in writing. You should also check to see if they have actually done this for another company with sucessful results. Beware of someone promising to do this only to pay Google or another search engine to list you as a "sponsored" listing.

I hope this information has helped someone in some way. If you have questions, please post them here so others can learn from the answers. I do not know everything about web developing and SEO, but if I can answer a question I will do so. I am sure that others here would be willing to help as well.

Good luck!

John Barton
Dallas Sign Company

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: How Important is Website Optimization?!
May 29th 2007
May 30th 2007
May 30th 2007
Jun 01st 2007
Re: Optimize? How about just add content?
Jun 02nd 2007

BarcelonaTue May-29-07 07:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: How Important is Website Optimization?!"
In response to Reply # 0

Any advice on my site http://www.WineCoat.com KW: wine bottle cover

thanks

BARCELONA http://www.Barcelona.la

Dallas42Wed May-30-07 01:21 AM

#2. "RE: How Important is Website Optimization?!"
In response to Reply # 1

I have taken a look at both of your websites, both of which look very professionaly created by the way. They do lack in their keyword discriptions and meta-tags and those that are there are not linked to anything on your site.

BarcelonaWed May-30-07 05:49 AM

#3. "RE: How Important is Website Optimization?!"
In response to Reply # 2

I cheked the Meta Tags and Validated the html... I am not sure what you mean by those that are not linked?!

Thanks so much for your help and input! I really do appreciate it!

BARCELONA http://www.Barcelona.la

advancedstudioFri Jun-01-07 10:20 AM

#4. "RE: How Important is Website Optimization?!"
In response to Reply # 3

For your keywords and meta tags to be effective they must relate to your content. Make sure your keywords words that you have used within writing your content and such. There is alot to getting something SEO'd

Gynx Design.com :: Truly Innovative

hostingdivaSat Jun-02-07 11:05 AM

#5. "Re: Optimize? How about just add content?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think people get all caught up with this optimization thing thinking they have to do something special when all you really need to do is add content. Every word on your website counts as a keyword - which is why having text is so important.

Also, if optimization worked as well as some people say it does, don't you think wal-mart would be coming up number one for just about every single product search? It doesn't happen.. if they can't do it, then... I think that should tell you something.

But, that's just my opinion...

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

Lobby eCommerce topic #175 Previous topic | Next topic