Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby eCommerce topic #100

Subject: "Service Based vs. Product Based for E-commerce" Previous topic | Next topic
Peggy FairWed Dec-06-06 04:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Service Based vs. Product Based for E-commerce"

Hi all,

I am new here and I want very badly to start a business online. I have taken some e-commerce and web design classes so I know a little about the industry...I live in a rapidly gentrifying city and want to take advantage of the new well-heeled crowd and I have several ideas bouncing around in my head on how to cater to them..My question is what has been your experiences running a service based business as well as those of you who have product based businesses? I know with product based businesses, you have the headache of dealing with inventory, product returns, shelf life, etc..almost all my ideas have been product based. Keep in mind, that this will be a one woman show, so if I decided to go towards a product based business, I would be handling the mailing all by myself.

Thanking you in advance,

Peggy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Service Based vs. Product Based for E-commerce
Dec 06th 2006
Dec 07th 2006
Dec 08th 2006
Dec 10th 2006
Dec 11th 2006
Dec 11th 2006

bizenezWed Dec-06-06 11:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Service Based vs. Product Based for E-commerce"
In response to Reply # 0

Peggy:
I know alot about product and service businesses. i have started both and failed at most. I'm still learning but I can offer free advice.
E-MAIL:contactbizenez@bizenez.com

Peggy FairThu Dec-07-06 02:34 PM

#2. "RE: Service Based vs. Product Based for E-commerce"
In response to Reply # 1

Well, it is good that you have bounced back from failure. I am really edging toward one of the product businesses I have in mind, but it seems like an online business will be a hassle for a small time one woman outfit like me.

bizenezFri Dec-08-06 02:44 PM

#3. "RE: Service Based vs. Product Based for E-commerce"
In response to Reply # 2

I have tried dropshipping and can even give you free sources. emaile me at contactbizenez@bizenez.com or from my site at www.bizenez.com

Pat and AlixSun Dec-10-06 12:40 PM

#4. "RE: Service Based vs. Product Based for E-commerce"
In response to Reply # 2

>Well, it is good that you have bounced back from failure. I
>am really edging toward one of the product businesses I have
>in mind, but it seems like an online business will be a hassle
>for a small time one woman outfit like me.

I am a one woman small business located online only. What kind of hassle are you most concerned about? Order fulfillment? storage of product? doing it all?

Pat and Alix P. Curl

bizdevMon Dec-11-06 04:32 AM

#5. "RE: Service Based vs. Product Based for E-commerce"
In response to Reply # 0

Peggy, a product based web business can be done without inventory and fullfillment issues if you sell ebooks or affiliate products (or both). This is an ideal way to run a one woman business.Y ou can go to my website for an example of how to do this.

There are also lots of resources for Internet businesses here:
http://www.smallbusinessstartup.biz/internet/

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

DBeaversMon Dec-11-06 04:55 AM

#6. "RE: Service Based vs. Product Based for E-commerce"
In response to Reply # 0

Peggy,

Everything in life isn't black and white, product vs. service-based, etc. I have found my niche in selling promotional advertising - The likeliest buyers are business & industry, clubs & organizations, and gov't agencies from the local school board to federal offices.

I've sold over $1 million in custom-printed promotional advertising in the past 5 years, without having inventory. My office is in a spare bedroom in my home.

Once the customer's order has been imprinted by the supplier (anywhere in the world), it is delivered to that buyer's chosen location - without passing through my office. I have sold hundreds of thousands of Bic pens (just one out of 3500+ sources) to people all across the U.S.

I'm the go-between for buyer who needs ink pens, coffee mugs, calendars, mouse pads, umbrellas, lapel pins, yardsticks, t-shirts, golf balls, or other items with their name/logo on them. I send the order and art to Kaeser & Blair, who forwards it to the chosen supplier.

I earn a commission on each and every order, with no guaranteed income. That discourages many prospective salespeople, but is in reality one of the fairest forms of compensation. Those who sell well earn excellent commissions. Those who can't sell, or are lazy, expecting the business to come to them, may leave the industry looking for greener pastures.

If you'd like to consider the prospects, visit my website for more details. There is no cost or obligation for the info or a dealership.

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.
"Twenty-two years in my one home-based business"

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.
Full-time, home-based, self-empolyed since 1987.
Dealers needed-US residents only!

Lobby eCommerce topic #100 Previous topic | Next topic