Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Marketing Mix topic #704

Subject: "Help needed with mobile computer repair business" Previous topic | Next topic
jwensilThu Oct-11-07 05:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Help needed with mobile computer repair business"

Hello all,

I recently started a mobile computer repair business and need a little help with the marketing aspect. I have put out over a thousand flyers to local businesses, parking lots etc and have received two clients from that. I am offering a 15% discount for new customers and 10% referral bonuses.

My partner spoke with a "marketing guru" last night who believes that we should be giving the 15% discount to ALL customers as it will show that we are not small time. Also, on the flyers I have "Over 16 years experience" which the "marketing guru" believes should also be removed. The reasoning is because there are other companies who might have more experience, i.e. "Over 20 years experience".

My questions are:

1 - should we be giving ALL customers the 15% discount? And if so, also the 10% referral bonus in conjunction with that?

2 - Should I remove the tagline, touting my experience?

3 - I also have 15 - 20 certifications which I have the most relevant displayed depending on the clients we are targeting. The 'guru' believes that I should remove the specific certifications and only put 'Microsoft Certified'. Is this the way to go?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan
Merlin Computing

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Help needed with mobile computer repair business
Oct 12th 2007
Oct 12th 2007
Oct 12th 2007
Oct 15th 2007
Oct 16th 2007

PepperfireFri Oct-12-07 06:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Help needed with mobile computer repair business"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know who your marketing guru is, and I don't know how wealthy they are... so regardless of what he tells you, here's my thoughts...

1. Be yourself.

2. Mine your existing customers. Figure out who is currently using your services and ask them for referrals.

3. If you have a certification, I as a customer want to know about it... If the guru knew what I knew about MS Certification, he'd be telling you to highlight the other certs and drop that one. lol... Ok, just kidding, but no, I think you should keep the list... If you want to, you can make the list less technical and more user targeted. The people who hire a consultant are those who you want to tell to turn off the computer and put it back in the box: They want to know what you can do... not what your technical cert is, they have no idea what the technical certs mean. And since users relate to "Microsoft" more than we techies do... by all means, keep the MS Certification.

My next thought... why are you giving discounts? Aren't your prices right? Are you that hungry for business?

Raise the bar... target the companies that can afford your services and show them how your technical experitise can augment their in-house expertise, increasing their consultant fees, thereby lowering their employee costs... You might want to work with an accountant to work out those sorts of projections though.

AFAIC, the only discounts you should be offering are either volume discounts or frequent flyer points... repeat customers, getting better prices. etc. BUT, whatever you do, don't sell yourself short.

Finally... Don't come across as hungry. If you need the work, it's because you're not very good at what you do... Think about it. Mindset is everything. If you are the best in your field, you are too busy to care whether or not I hire your services... that message should come across without you saying it in any way. The reverse message is imho death.

I hope these thoughts help.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

LisaPRFri Oct-12-07 06:57 AM

#2. "RE: Help needed with mobile computer repair business"
In response to Reply # 0

Jonathan,

I have to disagree with your "marketing guru" on several points. One do not give a discount to all customers. This is in essence telling you to lower your rates across the board.

New customers get the discount as an incentive to use your ervices over the comeptitions. Also potential customers want to know that the person they are planning to buy services from has the experience to do the job right the first time. I would leave the "16 years of experience" in the flier. Yes competition may have more years of experience but that is not the deciding factor in choosing you over them.

All things being equal custoemrs will choose you over the compeittion based on personal reasons, customer service nad other intagibles. You have to sell them on you and your level of service to them.

If you approach them right and listen to their concerns and issues and then explain to them in terms they can understand how you can address their issues and provide soultions for them they will choose you over the someone else.

About certificiation I know Microsoft is important to have displayed and dispalying all 20 may be too much. I would hang out certifications for things like Cisco, Microsoft and other certificates for the most popular prgrams or areas in the industry - programming, web site design/building, key software, operating systems (Linux, Mac, etc.). This would cover all your bases with potential customers and eliminate the need to switch them out for each new client.

Now somethings to do to get more business:
1- position yourself and your company as experts in computer issues.
2- Secure speaking enganments at local business functions, panels, SBA, SCORE events, etc.
3- Issue press releases to local media about the company, computer trends, online trends, etc. Make sure that each release is relevant to what is going on in the world today in terms of computer industry, convergence, new technology, etc.
4- post tips and advice on your company's website. this gets people to visit more often
5- Start a blog with basic tips on maintaining computer equipment - deleting trash, cookies, etc. the everyday things people should be doing to keep their computers riunning efficiently.

I hope this helps you.

Lisa Douglas
Inklusion PR
public relations for a diverse world
www.inklusionpr.com
New lower rates for small/micro businesses.

jwensilFri Oct-12-07 08:54 AM

#3. "RE: Help needed with mobile computer repair business"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri Oct-12-07 08:57 AM by jwensil

Tina and Lisa,

Thank you VERY much for your wonderful advice. I havce spoken with my partner and he agrees. Our next stepping stone is how to attain business clients, or at least how to get our feet in the door to present our services to them.

What we will be offering is blocks of service packages. This will include something along the lines of:

$300 - $400 (undecided), per computer, per year.

3 or 4 computer optimization visits per year (per computer). One visit per quarter?
- delete cookies temp files and clear caches
- delete any spyware / adware / malware
- update virus definitions
- update spyware / adware / malware definitions
- run computer diagnostics to ensure no faulty hardware
- scandisk and defrag of hard disks

3 or 4 (undecided), service calls per computer, (again, one per quarter?) per year which includes:
- computer software crash
- hardware failure (hardware not included)
- internet troubleshooting
- application troubleshooting
- virus removal
- data backup / restore
- hardwre upgrade (hardware not included)
- software upgrade (software not included)

We believe these are reasonable prices for the services being offered, our questions are:

1. What are the best ways to present these services to clients?
2. What type of clients would utilize these services?

In a past life, I did this business as a hobby and received from sources such as my dentist, and from my fiance's boss (veterinarian). I never really advertised and those kind of fell into my lap. Now that I would like to do this full time, how can I most effectively advertise and gain the trust of clients?

Once again, thank you VERY much for taking the time to help!

Jonathan
Merlin Computing
merlincomputing@gmail.com

LisaPRMon Oct-15-07 03:52 PM

#4. "RE: Help needed with mobile computer repair business"
In response to Reply # 3

referrals from your existing cusotmers will help you get in the door of businesses. Go back to your dentist and the Vet. Ask them for referrals and then follow up with potential clients.

Public relatins in local business magazines will help as well as advetising in those same publications. Joining the local, state, and regional Chambers of Commerce as well as any local business organizations will also put you in fornt of potential customers.

Think about volunteering or doing pro bono work for local non-profits. They can pass along referrals to you and tis will put you in front of their board members as well. Most board members tend to be local business people with either their own businesses or high-ranking executives at bigger companies.

Lisa Douglas
Inklusion PR
public relations for a diverse world
www.inklusionpr.com
New lower rates for small/micro businesses.

PepperfireTue Oct-16-07 04:19 AM

#5. "RE: Help needed with mobile computer repair business"
In response to Reply # 3

>Our next stepping stone
>is how to attain business clients, or at least how to get our
>feet in the door to present our services to them.

Referrals... It is not who you know, it is who knows what you know... Target your network. Ask people who know what you can do, who they would contact if they were the one's establishing this business AND get them to write a note of introduction or call on your behalf, so you're not going in there cold. (Always get permission to use the referrer's name).

> What we will be offering is blocks of service packages.
>This will include something along the lines of:

I think blocks of service packages is a great idea... You should also have a one shot deal, menu; outlining what each service costs, so they can easily see that the block package is a great deal.

I can't help you in figuring out your pricing, I do all my own computer stuff so, I don't know where you should be.

What you might want to do is to write a brief survey, post it on survey monkey and ask people to complete it and share it with their networks. Questions you should ask, should include things like... "If you had to pay a technician to do it for you, how much would you pay for computer services"... Use multiple choice answers. Other questions are... "how often do you back up (I personally think having someone come in through my back door once a month and doing a full back up of my system is an invaluable service that someone should offer), how often do you defrag, how often do you optimize, etc."

Ultimately, the best way to get out there is to tell everyone. Put ads, and press releases in the local paper. You might want to talk to your partner, whichever one of you can write should be creating a weekly/biweekly/monthly computer info article for your local newspaper/grocery store flyer or some sort of magazine, as well as a blog, that will give just enough information to people like me, that they will regularly read your column and just enough information so that the guy who oughta put the computer back in the box and send it back to the retailer, will call you for your services, BECAUSE you've made it clear to the area that YOU are the go-to guys for the jobs.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

Lobby Marketing Mix topic #704 Previous topic | Next topic