Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Marketing Mix topic #577

Subject: "How can I get more Search Engine Hits" Previous topic | Next topic
Reggie77Tue Jul-03-07 07:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How can I get more Search Engine Hits"

My webpage is not getting the hits. I paid for a Google sponsored ads and added meta tags, but I wanna know how to get to the top of search engines. Should I pay for a 'submit url' service? Do these work? My biz is a background investigations company.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: How can I get more Search Engine Hits
Jul 04th 2007
Jul 04th 2007
Jul 10th 2007
Jul 11th 2007
Jul 23rd 2007
Feb 16th 2008
Feb 18th 2008

Roseb441702Wed Jul-04-07 09:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: How can I get more Search Engine Hits"
In response to Reply # 0

>My webpage is not getting the hits. I paid for a Google
>sponsored ads and added meta tags, but I wanna know how to get
>to the top of search engines. Should I pay for a 'submit url'
>service? Do these work? My biz is a background
>investigations company.

A lot of the major search engines let you submit your site manually so you could do that yourself instead of hiring someone.

I have had some very good success with my sites being at least on the first two pages of the search engine listings when certain keywords were looked for. Actually I was pleasantly surprised at this because I didn't submit my URLs to the search engines.

There is a "hard" way and an "easy" way to do this. The easy way is to just do some research on the sites that rank where you want your site to be.

The "hard" way - which is also the way that I think is best - is to concentrate on the content of your site. Add a statistical tracker so that you know where your traffic is coming from. Add a counter (even if its an invisible one that only you can see until your numbers increase) so that you can track your number of visitors.

I do webpage analysis of websites and I think that this would be a good thing for you to do yourself. It's just not enough of "build it and they will come".

Rose
Grant Basics 101
http://grantbasics101.bravehost.com/grants.htm

AlbanybizwriterWed Jul-04-07 01:41 PM

#2. "RE: How can I get more Search Engine Hits"
In response to Reply # 0

Getting ranked decently on Google involves more than adding meta tags; it also depends on whether the key words that you want your site visitors to use when they're searching for your services are mentioned and repeated in the content and headlines of your web page. It's also advantageous when other sites with similar or related content link to you (The more relevant incoming links from high quality sites, the better). Google appears to takes that into strong consideration when determining whether to rank you in a high or low position for certain key words.

One way to get other sites to link to you is to submit articles to article directories or sites that accept article submissions. At the end of the article, you're usually allowed to include a detailed byline with a link to your website.

Suggestion: If you respond to this message, why don't you list your web site address so people can visit it and critique how 'search engine friendly' it is.

Best of luck.

Joel
http://www.MarketingSurvivalKit.com

"Small Business Marketing Tools that Produce Optimal Results"

lewgard08Tue Jul-10-07 04:30 AM

#3. "RE: How can I get more Search Engine Hits"
In response to Reply # 0

The absolute bet way to increase search engine traffic to your website is to have quality content that people are truly interested in. This will generate "one-way" links - i.e. other webmasters came upon your site, think your information would be of value to his/her visitors, so he/she puts a link to your site within his site.

But therein lies the question: How will these webmasters find my site??? You can participate in forums and blogs that compliment your business, adding a link to your site within your signature. While many sites that allow signatures have the "no follow" command in their code (so search engines will not pick up your link...a means of spam prevention), people who read your posts will click on your link. And, if you have quality information, they like your site, tell a few people, bookmark it...you get the idea.

I never recommend paying for a 'submit url' service. These types of services tend to use an automated program that sends your site to many, many search engines. Search engines frown upon this. It is agains the terms of service of many search engines.

You have to do keyword research. Know who your target market is and determine the words and phrases they use to find a site like yours.

Look for websites pertaining to employment and human resources. You will more than likely find they have a forum - with people looking for your type of service.

One last thing...I have a blog that, based on my experience, has articles on how website owners can optimize their own website for the search engines: http://www.spiderseeker.com

=====

Kathleen,
http://www.spiderseeker.com

PepperfireWed Jul-11-07 06:26 AM

#4. "RE: How can I get more Search Engine Hits"
In response to Reply # 3

(Nice blog Kathleen.)

Kathleen says it in her blog: Target your customers, not the search engines.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

nielsenclMon Jul-23-07 07:57 AM

#5. "RE: How can I get more Search Engine Hits"
In response to Reply # 0

Your question is a lot like "How do I build a house?". In that case I think you know it's not realistic to get all the information you need here. I suggest you try to find someone that you can trust that does this kind of work all the time. Check your local phone book to start with or search Google or the Yahoo directory. You can also try Seopros.org and they can help you find someone.

If you want to continue on your own, you certainly can, but if will take some work and some time. I would search for information on search engine optimization or SEO and you will find a LOT of information. The most important part is to do some "keyword research" to start with. We use the free program from www.GoodKeywords.com and while there are paid services, we have had great luck with this for about 5 years.

Once you have a large list of keyword phrases, you should use them in your title, description, and keywords tags but don't overdo it. Use the same list to edit the text on your web pages. Here is one important guideline: Use as many of the keyword phrases as possible, but make sure your text is also good English. If you do that you will also be writing for your visitors as well.

We don't worry about ranking. Trying to get rankings is hard for popular terms and hard to maintain. Focus more on the "traffic" that you are getting to your site, since that is what you really want and not just rankings. Use the keyword phrases on your site that people use and you will be found and get traffic for those terms.

The other thing that is important is to submit your site to as many places as possible. You can get links from other sites, but only work to get links from sites that can also send you traffic. It's also a lot of work and may or may not help you with the search engines. We think it makes more sense to submit your site to all the search engines and directories that you can. You can do this yourself or you can hire someone to do it for you for not too much money.

I would avoid all the cheap offers that you see that sends "tons of traffic to your site". Most of these places will, but some are scams. The problem is that even the ones that send traffic, are not going to send traffic to your site that is going to do more than look once and click away unless you have nude photos or something else that people can't resist.

Good web marketing takes time, money, or both.

Nielsen Technical Services
http://www.NielsenTech.com
http://www.Consultant-Directory.com
http://www.EbayAuctionAds.com

waterswebSat Feb-16-08 10:06 PM

#6. "RE: How can I get more Search Engine Hits"
In response to Reply # 0

I definitely recommend that you don't waste your time submitting your site to search engines -- defintely make sure you don't stuff a ton of keywords in your meta keywords and description tag.

As a matter of fact, those tags won't help your site's ranking at all.

As the other posters said, content is the main key. Once you have that, the other key -- backlinks -- will be much easier. Other webmasters are more inclined to link to great content than to a site that has nothing.

I also recommend adding a blog to your site, submitting the RSS feed to blog directories and then blogging about your business and your industry on a regular basis.

Your goal in doing this is to show that you are an expert in your industry, someone that others will want to look to and buy from. This will help generate word of mouth promotions as well as an increase in yoru search engine ranking.

Michelle Waters
The Product Seller's Coach
Can The Search Engines Find Your Site?
http://www.SEOPowerUp.com

margoyle1Mon Feb-18-08 09:46 AM

#7. "RE: How can I get more Search Engine Hits"
In response to Reply # 0

The other comments have excellent advice, I can't add much, although I believe that good content and maintaining a presence outside of your site (getting links on blogs, other webpages, etc) is key. One thing that comes to mind is how individuals tend to search for a "background investigations" company (not quite sure what that entails). It doesn't sound like this industry would encompass very many obvious keywords, but perhaps I'm wrong. I would definitely take a look at what your competitors have over you. What makes their sites so much better (if they are)? Finally, the better you are at your business and the more people that are talking about you, the more traffic you'll get organically...it's a backwards way of thinking about it perhaps but the more of an "industry leader" you are, the better your online presence. Good luck.

MG1

Lobby Marketing Mix topic #577 Previous topic | Next topic