Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Marketing Mix topic #484

Subject: "Web Site Optimization. How Important is it, Really?!" Previous topic | Next topic
Dallas42Sun May-27-07 06:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Web Site Optimization. How Important is it, Really?!"

I just posted a small article on this subject in the Ecommerce section, but feel it pertains to this subject area as well. If you would like more information on this subject, please see that topic.

Feel free to comment, please.

John Barton
Dallas Sign Company

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Web Site Optimization. How Important is it, Really?!
May 27th 2007
May 27th 2007
May 27th 2007
May 28th 2007
May 29th 2007
May 29th 2007

JoeP.Sun May-27-07 08:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Web Site Optimization. How Important is it, Really?!"
In response to Reply # 0

John...

There is SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and SEM (Search Engine Marketing). Your question is basically referring to the former, although they are forever intrinsically linked.

When you optimize your site, you are essentially marrying the seekers to the info. This isn't extraordinarily complex, but it is comprehensive.

When you do a search you typically see the blue-shaded sites at the top and right. These are paid-for sponsors that are there because they bid on the 'words' typed in the search. They higher the bid the closer to the top they are. If their listing is clicked on then, CHA CHING, they pay that bid through dogpile to google/yahoo/etc, and voila the visitors end up at their site. BTW...this is done geo-targeted, regionally, nationally, and globally. Choose your tactics wisely. This completely circumvents SEO.

The area below the blue-shaded listings are the 'organic' listings. To get ranked highly in this area is so much harder, because you can pay people to get you in the blue-shaded area. To get listed highly in the organic section requires complete SEO of your site. But that alone, depending upon size and content, will only get you so far, maybe page 8 or 9. To get on page 1, top listing, means your site is connected to thousands of other sites, with similar content, links, etc. This is the comprehensive part.

Small business owners 'want' to be there, but soon realize the HR to get them there is prohibitive. It's often better to hire the Pay Per Click companies to get them into the sponsored sections.

In summary...it's very important to get your site as optimized as possible because someone else in your space is doing it now, getting listed higher, and taking some of your potential revenue. Perhaps the last customer you lost may only be a few miles from you, but because of your site, called someone else.

Be careful and cautious of those who toss out success stories and promise the world, it isn't necessarily so. This area is for dedicated marketers/CEOs who realize that in the not-to-distant-future 50%+ of the company's revenue will come from internet activity.

BTW...I am NOT in the internet business, but I spend millions a year in that area marketing my locations.

Reply back if you have more questions & good luck.
Joe P.

Dallas42Sun May-27-07 11:28 AM

#3. "RE: Web Site Optimization. How Important is it, Really?!"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks,

John Barton
Dallas Sign Company

JoeP.Sun May-27-07 08:13 AM

#2. "RE: Web Site Optimization. How Important is it, Really?!"
In response to Reply # 0

John...

I just looked at your site. Respectfully...there are changes that could be real difference-makers.

You have a lot of content; it is the structure that's difficult.

There is a company that has done several different sites for me. I am not sure if IdeaCafe has rules preventing me from putting their name out here, so...

If you would like their name...email me...joephillips07@yahoo.com

Joe P.

CyberHostMon May-28-07 06:37 AM

#4. "RE: Web Site Optimization. How Important is it, Really?!"
In response to Reply # 2

John,
It's Ok for you to name your recommendations -- In CyberSchmooz we're here to help each other get to good resources and avoid bad ones.
Cyberhost at Idea Cafe
The Fun Place for Serious Business(sm)

PepperfireTue May-29-07 10:21 AM

#5. "RE: Web Site Optimization. How Important is it, Really?!"
In response to Reply # 0

John,
Web optimization is hugely important and I can personally tell you first hand how much so based on my personal recent experience.

I am in the process of optimizing my site.

Prior to beginning this project, the top search words and phrases to bring people to my site were, the name of my company or specific brand names of my products. That was great 50% of my hits and if not my sales were by people who were specifically searching for us.

Since launching the optimized (well, starting to get there) site, the search words and phrases are for other things. So, now, not only are people who are looking for me finding me, people who weren't looking for me are finding me as well.

The difference, to me, is enormous.

So, the simple answer. Yes it is extremely important. The hard answer? It isn't simple.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

PepperfireTue May-29-07 10:23 AM

#6. "RE: Web Site Optimization. How Important is it, Really?!"
In response to Reply # 5

Oh, and I probably could have edited to add this, but what they hey.

The guy who has been helping me with my web-optimization is named Reg Charie. You can get him at referred-by-tina@regcharie.com

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

Lobby Marketing Mix topic #484 Previous topic | Next topic