Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Marketing Mix topic #465

Subject: "Figuring out how to sell a video calling product to small/med businesses" Previous topic | Next topic
HCSSWed May-23-07 05:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Figuring out how to sell a video calling product to small/med businesses"

What do you use in terms of communicating with certain customers/employees and why?

How do businesses/you think about internet video calling? Is it more like a communication tool within your online communications options, like an option offered through your e'mail program? Or is it more an option through your IM program? Or is it an alternative to an actual phone call so selling it like a phone service is the right way to go?

Just not sure what context business owners or users think about video calling. That will tell me how to price it, where to market it, and how to brand it.

Thoughts?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

PepperfireSat May-26-07 01:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Figuring out how to sell a video calling product to small/med businesses"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat May-26-07 01:05 AM by Pepperfire

To answer your first question. My primary communication tools are telephone, both land and cell and email. I also use IM for networking.

I like to consider myself relatively high tech, but am at a loss suddenly. What exactly is video calling?

I think that is your first hurdle.

If what I think you mean is using a PC based telephone program to make phone calls allowing you to connect using your vidcam. My personal thought as a business owner is that it's a novelty and a waste of money. You're really going to have to dig to find the hook for me on this one.

Here's why...

The business that uses desk based call centers will have land lines. The home-based entrepreneur is going to like the ability to make phone calls in their bath robe... or whatever. (A customer may be able to hear the smile, but they can't hear the difference between a suit and pyjamas.) Video gives way lay to even more prejudices than just a voice offers, from the people you are calling and could be more trouble than it is worth. Finally, if the recipient of your call doesn't have the technology to see you. You wasted your money.

Here's why it might work...

If it's an online "contact-us-immediately" service on the internet, as a consumer, some people who are audio might prefer that, certainly customers who can't type quickly, will. If you're in a personal service industry people might prefer seeing who they're talking with as they're talking with them.

I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to price it, but it would have to be on par with my regular telecommunications system if I were to switch and not cause much distress to my bottom line if it were an addition.

Just my thoughts... I am sorry if they aren't much help, but wish you luck with it.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Marketing Mix topic #465 Previous topic | Next topic