Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Marketing Mix topic #448

Subject: "How to get product into Gift Shops" Previous topic | Next topic
knottedmindWed May-09-07 05:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How to get product into Gift Shops"

I have a product that I would like to place in Hospital Gift Shops and I need help figuring out how to do that. I am NOT a salesman and have no clue how to go about it.

Do I call and set up an appointment? With who? Manager, owner, buyer...what?

What do I say. This is my biggest drawback. I have been sitting on this product for 10 years (yes, you heard that right, 10 years) because I simply do not now how to "sell" any product.

I have been rehersing in my mind what I need to say and cannot even come up with an opening sentence! "Hello, I'm Ray and I have this great gizmo I'd like to place in your gift shop". YUCK!

Are there any salesmen that get me started.

Also, how to gift shops do things? Do I sell my item directly to them, or is it on commission or some other way.

I'm stuck and I really don't want to call someone up cold and sound REALLY stupid.

Thanks for any tips, pointers, help, PRE-WRITTEN SCRIPT you can help me with.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: How to get product into Gift Shops
May 10th 2007
May 13th 2007
Jun 13th 2007
Jun 14th 2007

MaranThu May-10-07 09:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: How to get product into Gift Shops"
In response to Reply # 0

Just go into some shops and start talking to people.
Gift Shops tend to be run by regular, normal folks.
And real conversation wins with regular, normal folks every time over some script.

a good way to break the ice might be to start talking with people who you don't care if your gizmo ever gets into their shop - so maybe some other kind of store.

I have managed a shop and if someone came in with a product I wanted to carry it didn't matter much that they didn't have sales skills, that they were sincere and genuine and helped me solve any problems I might have about having their gizmo in my shop counted a lot more.

Good luck Ray

be well and
Remember, Who You are Makes A Difference!
Maran
The Card Gal From Jax Beach
http://ItFeelsGoodToSendOutcards.com

Make Someone's Day
Send an Unexpected Heartfelt Greeting Card - the First One is on me.

iwsSun May-13-07 09:26 AM

#2. "RE: How to get product into Gift Shops"
In response to Reply # 0

Forget scripts!!! People buy from people they like. Start out by going into the gift shop and simply talk with the people there. You want to get to the DM (decision maker) whether it is the manager or owner. If the shop is owned by some big company, it will require you call them.

Don't let the next 10 years go by and you do nothing. If you are waiting for the "perfect time" it will never get here and you will be on your death bed wishing you had done something.

Make a decision and get out there and talk with them. You will learn as you go. If you believe in it, the how to will follow.

Ocha

http://www.potpourriemporium.com
http://www.infoesource.com
Blog:
http://www.potpourriemporium.blogspot.com

ScampbellyWed Jun-13-07 07:01 AM

#3. "RE: How to get product into Gift Shops"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi,

I hope it's not too late. I just now seeing your posting. I have a product that I'm preparing to market in hospital gift shops. I called and asked for the manager. When I spoke with them, I told them that I had a product that I believed would be a good fit for their gift shop. I took a few moments to describe and asked when they would be available to actually see the product.

What I learned was that most hospital gift shops would like to by the product out right and they want to be able to make 50% more than what they purchased it for.

Sheila

www.scripturaldelights.com

PepperfireThu Jun-14-07 04:06 AM

#4. "RE: How to get product into Gift Shops"
In response to Reply # 3

50% for a retailer? Sounds about right. Sheila is correct.

Call the shop ask who the buyer is. Show them the product, give them your price. That's all... If it's as great as you say, they'll buy.

You on the other hand need to be positive that they will buy it before going in there because it really is the right shop for the product and even then, there is no guarantee that they will buy.

Your other option (if you can afford the inventory) is to offer to place the product on consignment. That way they only pay you after it sells. (But... if you're going to do this, lower their commission from 50% to 30% otherwise they have no incentive to buy.)

Good luck.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

Lobby Marketing Mix topic #448 Previous topic | Next topic