Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Marketing Mix topic #400

Subject: "Press release question" Previous topic | Next topic
kalew08Fri Apr-13-07 07:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Press release question"

I am strongly considering creating a press release to attract business to my 'new' search engine optimization business. How will I know if my press release has been picked-up by editors? I am curious to learn how successful anyone has been with press releases.

Thank you,

Improving the Web by Improving Your Site
www.spiderseeker.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Press release question
Apr 13th 2007
Apr 18th 2007
Apr 20th 2007
Apr 24th 2007

promozFri Apr-13-07 05:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Press release question"
In response to Reply # 0

I release my PR's through http://www.prweb.com

It's free and it gives you stats on your PR. Like how many times it was viewed, picked up, and printed.

Press releases are something the bulk of businesses are missing out on. Free Publicity.

Jeff
==========
Make your First Impression a Lasting One
www.custom-business-promotional-products.com

BizConsultingWed Apr-18-07 04:10 AM

#2. "RE: Press release question"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi Jeff;

Great idea! I just tried PRWeb but unfortunatly their days of "Free" is over. Unless I missed something, I have to Pay a minimum of $80.

Thanks for the idea. May just be worth the $80.

Suzanne
www.newbiz-coaching.com

Spread the NewsFri Apr-20-07 04:17 AM

#3. "RE: Press release question"
In response to Reply # 0

The use of press releases for business is the greatest missed opportunity there is. Every business should develop a series of press releases and submit them on a regular basis to the daily newspapers in their state. Starting with the state your business is in, regardless of your online availability, is important because newspapers editors like to feature what they consider to be local companies.

Always make sure when writing your release that it's not just ad copy. Editors are looking for newsworthiness for their subscriber base. If you're just writing ad copy, then buy an ad. But if you have information then definitely start with those release submissions.

In regards to online press release posting sites, why not just go direct to the source, like daily newspapers, rather than waiting for them to find you among thousands of other releases posted online.

Regards,
Michele
http://SpreadtheNews.net

Affordable Daily Newspaper Editors Non-spam Email Addresses for Your Press Release Submissions on a per State Basis

Free Newsletter with weekly PR info to help promote your business.
Send an email to: newsletter@SpreadtheNews.net

LisaPRTue Apr-24-07 05:42 AM

#4. "RE: Press release question"
In response to Reply # 0

Press releases are a business's way of communicating information to the media.

Keep in mind this is not a sales pitch about how wonderful your product/serivce is. Press releases should only be used if there is news that needs to be communicated.

Now here is the fun part, you can generate news in a variety of ways -new hires, new clients, new products/services are good places to start. If the compnay just launched that is also news.

Events, conferences, trade show participation can also be turned into news worthy press releases.

Make sure the information you are sending out is about something that addresses a need or concern to customers. So if you have a new product the release should be about the "growing XXX problem" and how people can fix it (this is where you mention your new product).

After writing your release have 2-3 people review and edit/critique it. Try to have someone who is not directly involved in your business read it for clarity. If they understand it then the newspapers' readers will too.

Distribution should be to the appropriate editors. Do your homework before sending any release to editors. Make sure they write about your industry/topic. Read several issues of the publication to understand the format and content of the stories. Make sure your release fits in with what they tend to write about most.

For example if most of their health stories are about diseases and the news drugs that are prescribed for it then do not send them a release on a product that does not address a actual disease. Matter of fact make sure they mention products by brand name and not in generic terms. If you never see actual brand names then only send releases to them about trends in an industry.

I hope this helps.

Lisa Douglas
Inklusion PR
public relations for a diverse world
www.inklusionpr.com
New lower rates for small/micro businesses.

Lobby Marketing Mix topic #400 Previous topic | Next topic