Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Marketing Mix topic #277

Subject: "Planning to put up on-line grocery store" Previous topic | Next topic
bizdanFri Feb-16-07 03:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Planning to put up on-line grocery store"

Hi!! everyone.

Can you give me some advise if it is wise to open up an on-line grocery store wherein buyers will choose the items in my website and order thru phone with a minimum amount to be purchase to cover-up delivery expense. The idea is to save them time in going to the supermarket. But my problem is not all household have computers. Giving every household a hard copy of the price list would be costly and since prices change every now and then. It is much easier to adjust prices in the web. Is it still viable for me to engage in such business idea? Or if you have a better way I would be very thankful.

Thanks,
Bizdan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Planning to put up on-line grocery store
Feb 16th 2007
Feb 16th 2007
Feb 18th 2007
Feb 18th 2007
Feb 19th 2007
Feb 20th 2007
Feb 20th 2007

PepperfireFri Feb-16-07 07:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Planning to put up on-line grocery store"
In response to Reply # 0

I would recommend doing some market research. That way, you'll discover who your target market for such a project is. Once you figure out who they are, target your market research even further.

I personally think this is a great idea for people who require time saving or for the elderly. (The population of seniors is the fastest growing consumer trend on the net right now).

If you then think it might be viable, I recommend putting the time into yoru business plan. Those three steps will tell you the answer to your question without a doubt.

Good luck with it. I think it sounds lucrative; especially if you partner up with several quality food providers.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

bizdanFri Feb-16-07 02:57 PM

#2. "RE: Planning to put up on-line grocery store"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Tina for the advise and encouragement. I will consider it and look into the market viability before I really go into it.

Bizdan

jeffblSun Feb-18-07 02:24 AM

#3. "RE: Planning to put up on-line grocery store"
In response to Reply # 2

You might look into the problems that others have had with this concept. There were a few of these services a few years ago but they all fell apart. They underestimated the fixed cost associated with maintaining an inventory of groceries. I have seen this work but only as an extension of a brick and morter grocer store. Are you planning on working with a grocery store?

bizdanSun Feb-18-07 12:54 PM

#4. "RE: Planning to put up on-line grocery store"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks for the advise.
A grocery store in it self, I don't have a plan at the moment. On-line grocery just came up to my mind as time saving alternative for those who don't have the time to go out.

Well actually I'm in the printing press business and looking for additional source of income to meet the daily expenses. Could you have an idea wherein I can make use of my printing business over the web? I do graphic designs and layouting services.

Bizdan

bizconsultantMon Feb-19-07 09:32 AM

#5. "RE: Planning to put up on-line grocery store"
In response to Reply # 4

Im kind of echoing what someone stated earlier about researching why the earlier models for this type of business failed. But on the bright side, once its determined what made them fail, you can model your venture in a fashion to make it more successful and avoid some of those pitfalls. We work in business development and new concepts all the time, if you need any additional guidance, feel free to get in touch with me at ajones@abcsolutions.cjb.net

>Thanks for the advise.
>A grocery store in it self, I don't have a plan at the moment.
>On-line grocery just came up to my mind as time saving
>alternative for those who don't have the time to go out.
>
>Well actually I'm in the printing press business and looking
>for additional source of income to meet the daily expenses.
>Could you have an idea wherein I can make use of my printing
>business over the web? I do graphic designs and layouting
>services.
>
>Bizdan

Anthony Jones - Business Consultant
ABC Solutions
ajones@abcsolutions.cjb.net

TheMerryBirdTue Feb-20-07 12:40 PM

#6. "RE: Planning to put up on-line grocery store"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-20-07 12:44 PM by TheMerryBird

As a pregnant mom, I know this is a terrific idea... for "Moms to be". You may want to market to Prego's out there that can't leave the house or carry grocery's. I know that our local Stop and Shop has "Pea in a Pod" which is the same type of business you are about to embark on... why not check out Stop and Shop website to gain insight on how they handle things...

If you can promote this business offline, you can set up a phone line taking orders and offering price info. for those without internet access. You'll need a catchy item or reason for people to shop that way! Get creative!

success to you -

Kristine Sheehan
The Merry Bird...pen, ink and design
http://www.themerrybird.com

bizdanTue Feb-20-07 01:43 PM

#7. "RE: Planning to put up on-line grocery store"
In response to Reply # 6

Thank you Kristeen for the idea and encouragement.

Success to your own business!

Lobby Marketing Mix topic #277 Previous topic | Next topic