Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Marketing Mix topic #267

Subject: "Help! I think my business could be big. How do I do it??" Previous topic | Next topic
sweetscentsTue Feb-13-07 11:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Help! I think my business could be big. How do I do it??"

Hi, I started my own small business. I make my own candles in my home. I have them displayed in a shop here in my town and I do craft shows etc. I have some loyal customers and am always getting new ones. Some people have asked me if they can be my consultant and sale my product. Of course they would buy at a whole sale price from me and sale it for a price to other people. So, they make money too. It would just be a lot of work for me, cause i'm the one making all these candles. I don't even know how to go about growing my business. That would be great if I got a lot of consultants. But, how do I do it. Where do I even start. I have a website of my own, but I don't even accept credit cards yet or anything. I guess I just need help in learning how to go about all of this. How can I be smart about my business, how do I grow, how does it benefit me, I don't want to be making candles day and night to keep up with the growth of my business. PLease anybody help.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Help! I think my business could be big. How do I do it??
Feb 14th 2007
Feb 14th 2007
Feb 14th 2007
Feb 14th 2007
Feb 15th 2007
Feb 15th 2007
Feb 16th 2007
Mar 06th 2007

lisasgourmetWed Feb-14-07 03:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Help! I think my business could be big. How do I do it??"
In response to Reply # 0

Ok. Before getting too worked up about this, sit down and write a list of what you want the business to be. Where do you want it to go?

Next, think about how much time it takes you to create X number of candles. In an 8 hour day, how many can you make? If you had to hire someone to help you create them, would you be able to pay them?

How much do your supplies -- including packaging cost? What would they cost if you were purchasing them in larger quantities?

This is the beginning of your business plan.

Then, when you have that done, contact your local small business development center. They can help you take your business to the level you want it to be in. My local SBDC helped me put together a killer business plan that two local banks want to see.

BEST thing? The SBDC is free!

Good Luck!

Lisa

http://www.allthingscheesecake.com

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with cheesecake!

sweetscentsWed Feb-14-07 07:29 AM

#2. "RE: Help! I think my business could be big. How do I do it??"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks so much for the advice. But, I don't even know if we have a local SBDC. I tried to find something in the phone book, but no luck! But, I will definitely start by writing down my business plan! I will try to find a way to go from there!

Thanks,
Angela

lisasgourmetWed Feb-14-07 07:38 AM

#3. "RE: Help! I think my business could be big. How do I do it??"
In response to Reply # 2

The SBDC's are usually associated with a local community college. You could also try a local SCORE chapter --- www.score.org

They also offer free mentoring.

Good Luck!

http://www.allthingscheesecake.com

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with cheesecake!

sweetscentsWed Feb-14-07 09:06 AM

#4. "RE: Help! I think my business could be big. How do I do it??"
In response to Reply # 3

thanks again! I looked at score.org. It has so much information. I think it will really help.

Thanks a bunch,
Angela

Lanell01Thu Feb-15-07 12:13 PM

#5. "RE: Help! I think my business could be big. How do I do it??"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-15-07 12:14 PM by Lanell01

Hello, Hope all is well with you ! I have a question if you don't mind.
I live in Mississippi and I have just started trying to sell the Mia
Bella candles. We don't make them ourselves. My question is - you stated in your post that you had your candles displayed in a shop in your area. How do you go about setting up a display in local stores. Do you go directly to the shops and ask. I just need some help.

Thanks for any advice.

Lanell.

sweetscentsThu Feb-15-07 06:01 PM

#6. "RE: Help! I think my business could be big. How do I do it??"
In response to Reply # 5

Hi Lanell,

Well, I have my candles displayed in a small scrapbook/stationary shop. So, I just asked to speak to the owner and showed her my product, asked her if she would be willing to let me have a display of my candles. Most business will want a percentage of the sales. I was very lucky and all that the owner wanted was a free candle here and there. I make sure to keep it stocked up and I get a lot of new clients from that store only. I need to ask more stores, but have not done so yet. I think you should give it a try. Think of any store you can think of and go ask. It's definitely worth a try. Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

Angela

PepperfireFri Feb-16-07 07:43 AM

#7. "RE: Help! I think my business could be big. How do I do it??"
In response to Reply # 6

If you're selling your candles on consignment, such as this, you should be paying less to the shopowner as commission when they do sell.

This is a fantastic way for you to gather resell information and figure out what your best sellers are, etc.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

cartercoTue Mar-06-07 04:50 AM

#8. "RE: Help! I think my business could be big. How do I do it??"
In response to Reply # 0

You could write a how-to ebook and copywrite and publish it. You could still work locally and franchise out. I know of a lot of resources.

Wayne A Carter
Webmaster Resources
carterco2003@yahoo.com
http://www.linkbrander.com/go/28721

Lobby Marketing Mix topic #267 Previous topic | Next topic