Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Marketing Mix topic #1519

Subject: "target market crossroads" Previous topic | Next topic
se65Fri Dec-18-09 05:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"target market crossroads"

Hi. I am a jewelry maker. I make lost wax castings of small carvings i make in my home, and have them professionally cast in precious metals. They range in price from $20-$200 wholesale, twice that retail. I am just starting out, so my only real market research is family and friends, all of whom have been very receptive to my designs despite their varying ages and backgrounds.

I have researched marketing trends for the textiles and fashion accessories industry in libraries and online; only the free stuff, i have yet to pay for anything, i would like to know what others feel their value is. I am dedicated to the craft of working with metal and following trends and themes within the industry. I have the start up capitol and have been writing up the business plan.

When i get to my target market i get stuck. I plan to sell my timeless, almost indestructible pieces of jewelry at monthly/weekly heavily publicized artists markets, a few small boutiques, and at a few online artisan shops. I also plan to solicit the line to larger retailers and specialty shops nationwide. According to my market research, i should target my marketing efforts towards the female baby boomer generation.

This poses a marketing problem for me. I want to continue my career as a jewelry designer long after this line is sold out and forgotten. I love my designs but they are nowhere near a reflection of my capabilities and goals as a jewelry designer. I have NO question about the quality of my product, don't get me wrong. I am sure my current line has mass market appeal. The difficulty is in naming and marketing my new brand to appeal to a more mature conservative audience while still maintaining an open door quality that would allow for a transition into edgy high fashion.

I know this is one heck of a question. I am pretty sure my issue is a marketing one, and i think having a blank slate is a great place to start carefully crafting the proper plan of attack, i mean action.

thanks so much for your help.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: target market crossroads
Dec 19th 2009
Dec 21st 2009
Feb 08th 2011

annalaurabrownSat Dec-19-09 10:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: target market crossroads"
In response to Reply # 0

well I think you need to proceed with some of the ideas that you already have and see what happens before you try and get too far ahead of yourself. What about also seeking out advice from other jewelry makers and sellers?

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

PepperfireMon Dec-21-09 11:50 AM

#2. "RE: target market crossroads"
In response to Reply # 0

I believe that your difficulty lies in that you are trying to create a marketing plan for something that is not just ONE marketing plan, but rather TWO.

The high end one of a kind pieces, should be marketed quite differently from your mass-marketed pieces.

The first is B2C direct and I believe should stay that way. The second is B2B and a completely different marketing tactic.

If I'm right, you've got two plans to write.

Yours,

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods inc.
http://www.peppermaster.com

cconsultantsTue Feb-08-11 10:11 AM

#3. "RE: target market crossroads"
In response to Reply # 0

Hello,

We are a team of business students from Bryant University in Rhode Island and we have some advice to offer you. We personally feel that you could potentially benefit from creating multiple segments based on the price ranges that you offer. Since you have stated that your pieces range from $20 to $200, it could allow you to center how you target the different segments based on these prices. You could most likely generalize that the younger demographics, or the more high fashion and edgier clientele will have less disposable income to spend and therefore could fall more into the lower price ranged merchandise and vice versa. By doing this, you will be able to create different lines for your brand without necessarily limiting yourself to one particular market segment or stifling your creativity.

Good luck with everything, and hope this helps!

Team Collaborative Consultants

Lobby Marketing Mix topic #1519 Previous topic | Next topic