Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Marketing Mix topic #150

Subject: "Methods of cheap local advertising" Previous topic | Next topic
homesweetheaterMon Nov-27-06 11:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Methods of cheap local advertising"

I am just starting off with my business, and trying to attract my first few clients. I am a freelance Home Theater installer, specializing on being the affordable "tv guy" for the average consumer. I have a nice sized market with lots of options, but little money to put towards advertising. I got my first client by them seeing the logos on my truck, so I really have no idea of what type of advertising is worth the money. I have heard about businesses sending "press kits" out to local press to let them know about the new business and possibly get write-ups or contacts about upcoming volunteer opportunities, etc. Has anyone used this method, and who do I send it to once I get it put together? Also has anyone had experience getting local exposure with ads/fliers/etc? Any other cheap ideas anyone have? I don't want to miss the holiday electronics buying spree, but can't spend all my shopping money. As always any help is gratefully appreciated!

shawn

BTW, here is my website. I built it myself so it's nothing special but if anyone wants to take a look and tell me how it may help/hurt my business let me know! Thanks for all your help, without this place I never would have been able to do this.
www.homesweettheater.com

- Almost there!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Methods of cheap local advertising
Nov 27th 2006
Nov 28th 2006
Nov 27th 2006

NancyMon Nov-27-06 07:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"RE: Methods of cheap local advertising"

Just a few suggestions, Shawn...

Your Recent Projects page would be a great page to place some testimonials.

You might want to add a link back to your home page on each of your pages.

And this is a tiny thing, but details can make a difference. Capitalize the "us" in your About us link to be consistent.

Move up the description of your business so that it's "above the fold" on the screen. Put your contact info below that, maybe even all on one line.

For the description, break up the text into smaller sections. Think about it more in terms of advertising copy as opposed to a paragraph of text.

Your Helpful Links page is a good idea. I would build on that, and make it the kind of page that people want to link to, or save to their Favorites, even if they don't need your services - yet.

Good luck!

Nancy
Cheap Advertising Ideas
http://www.CreateYourMarket.com

homesweetheaterTue Nov-28-06 03:37 PM

#2. "RE: Methods of cheap local advertising"
In response to Reply # 0

Nancy,

Thanks for the advice on the site. Had to pull it up real quick and see the missed capital! *blush* Like the idea on the description too. I left the "home" links out and just used the old standard of the main logo linking back, but I guess that dosen't work if I'm the only one who knew about it. Thanks again, I'm off to get more ideas off your site!

shawn

NancyMon Nov-27-06 07:34 PM

#1. "RE: Methods of cheap local advertising"
In response to Reply # 0

Just a few suggestions, Shawn...

Your Recent Projects page would be a great page to place some testimonials.

You might want to add a link back to your home page on each of your pages.

And this is a tiny thing, but details can make a difference. Capitalize the "us" in your About us link to be consistent.

Move up the description of your business so that it's "above the fold" on the screen. Put your contact info below that, maybe even all on one line.

For the description, break up the text into smaller sections. Think about it more in terms of advertising copy as opposed to a paragraph of text.

Your Helpful Links page is a good idea. I would build on that, and make it the kind of page that people want to link to, or save to their Favorites, even if they don't need your services - yet.

Good luck!

Nancy
Cheap Advertising Ideas
http://www.CreateYourMarket.com

Lobby Marketing Mix topic #150 Previous topic | Next topic