Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Marketing Mix topic #1192

Subject: "Handyman Biz" Previous topic | Next topic
cooperwinstonMon Aug-18-08 03:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Handyman Biz"

Looking for new ways to reach customers in the Orlando area. We are established, but our niche of contacting realtors for work is slow.

Any real ideas to reach homeowners? I have sent out two mailers addressed directly to homeowners names not just resident......

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Handyman Biz
Aug 18th 2008
Aug 19th 2008
Aug 19th 2008
Aug 20th 2008
Aug 31st 2008
Sep 10th 2008

saltedMon Aug-18-08 10:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Handyman Biz"
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe you can try joining a business networking group and get some referrals that way. You could also manually drop by your cards in people's mailboxes. That way you'll know for sure that it arrives Maybe try offering a 10 percent off special or something for first time services?

Mindy Lepp
http://www.saltedwebsites.com/
$50 off your website if you mention Idea Cafe!!

Steve PatrickTue Aug-19-08 10:05 AM

#2. "RE: Handyman Biz"
In response to Reply # 1

Bad idea - dropping cards or other material in mailboxes - unless they have a stamp - is illegal. The post office can get very S%*@@Y about this.

The networking idea is OK. Ditto for giving some type of special offer for new customers. Also, check around to see if there are any home improvement trade shows or small business expo's. It's a good way to get in front of a lot of people without spending a ton of money.

Check out the "Homes for sale" section of the classified ads. Look for homes being advertised as fixer-uppers, "needs TLC", or "as-is". A call to the home owner could get you some work. Explain to the seller that a more desirable property can sell faster and for a higher price.

Look around for a local senior citizen club. Offer to speak (and provide refreshments) at the next meeting. You can probably get their attention if you focus on how they can lower their utility bills by insulating their home properly.

There are still some homes being sold. If Realtors are not a great source of leads right now, try contacting home inspectors - they get paid to spot problems.

Good Luck,

Steve Patrick

tettegoucheTue Aug-19-08 01:31 PM

#3. "RE: Handyman Biz"
In response to Reply # 0

Many people are looking for businesses online. When repair needs come up, they go to the computer to see what is available in their area. If you have a web presence, you can attract a wider range of customers. You can also use your website as an easy source to send potential customers to in order to find out more about your services, prices, service area, etc.

Here is an article that might be useful: http://hostrail.com/article04.php

Let me know if I can help,

www.HostRail.com

www.DylanDesignLab.com

cooperwinstonWed Aug-20-08 04:41 AM

#4. "RE: Handyman Biz"
In response to Reply # 3

We do have a website www.homerepairsolutions.org and I have been sending mailers to newly sold homes, got info from property appraisers website.

Speaking at a senior event?? You must mean a 55 & older community. I will think about that.

We also joined the prestigious Winter Park Chamber of Commerce. We are the 2nd Handyman type biz they have.

I have been sending out bi-montly newsletters that were inspired by the cafe, I am starting to get a couple calls from them.

Thanks for the input.

FinallyAWinnerSun Aug-31-08 02:58 PM

#5. "RE: Handyman Biz"
In response to Reply # 0

You may want to consider something as simple as hiring a local high school student who is presentable looking to knock on doors of any house that looks like it could use some repairs. If the owner was not home make sure to leave a nice flier inside the screen door.

Door to door may sound old fashion but I can tell you Verizon outsources companies to go door to door asking homeowners if they would like to upgrade to Verizon Fios from their current cable hook up and they are very successful. Why not home repair? You could probably hire the student on commission......

How I Bought a Brand New $1.2 Million Dollar Dream Home on Two Rolling Acres Using ONLY Affiliate Commissions Earned While I Was Unemployed
http://SearchPeopleWorld.com/tissa.htm

phillrwWed Sep-10-08 01:09 PM

#6. "RE: Handyman Biz"
In response to Reply # 0

A web site that you can customize yourself!

www.homerunwebservices.com

Very inexpensive!

Bases Loaded marketing

Lobby Marketing Mix topic #1192 Previous topic | Next topic