Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Marketing Mix topic #1181

Subject: "Marketing Stagnation!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
cooperwinstonWed Aug-06-08 05:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Marketing Stagnation!!!"

I submitted a post earlier about house shaped cookies, I have to thank those who were supportive of the idea. I did, however, NOT do this as I was going to use this tactic for approaching real estate agents and getting them to promote our home repair biz to new sellers and buyers.
Since the market is so slow, I cannot get an agent to see me nor get them to call me back when I leave a message.

My newest approach is to send a mailer to new home buyers. I have sent approx. a hundred, just to feel things out. It has been 3 weeks and nothing.

We now have a website. homerepairsolutions.org, if anyone is interested in reviewing it.

My husband is busy with work, but I have to sell my own clients or I do not make any money.

Where do I go? I do not want the door to door thing that is creepy.

Thank you in advance,

D. Cooper

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Marketing Stagnation!!!
Aug 07th 2008
Aug 07th 2008
Aug 07th 2008
Aug 08th 2008
Aug 09th 2008

bizconsultantThu Aug-07-08 05:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Marketing Stagnation!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

If you are more of the "do it yourself" type that can operate from a spefic given plan and use suggested resources, I would like to invite you to attend an interactive and intensive web-version of our Build A Business Workshop. Its idea for your situation because besides putting together a business plan and a marketing plan and applying for contracting opportunities (all of which are done at the workshop) you also get to develop a USP - Unique Selling Proposition. This alone well help you get out of your marketing stagnation and help you avoid the whole door to door thing. If you would like information on the workshop coming up this Saturday, email me or go to www.buildabusinessworkshop.com and fill out the reply form.

>I submitted a post earlier about house shaped cookies, I have
>to thank those who were supportive of the idea. I did,
>however, NOT do this as I was going to use this tactic for
>approaching real estate agents and getting them to promote our
>home repair biz to new sellers and buyers.
>Since the market is so slow, I cannot get an agent to see me
>nor get them to call me back when I leave a message.
>
>My newest approach is to send a mailer to new home buyers. I
>have sent approx. a hundred, just to feel things out. It has
>been 3 weeks and nothing.
>
>We now have a website. homerepairsolutions.org, if anyone is
>interested in reviewing it.
>
>My husband is busy with work, but I have to sell my own
>clients or I do not make any money.
>
>Where do I go? I do not want the door to door thing that is
>creepy.
>
>Thank you in advance,
>
>D. Cooper
>
>

Anthony Jones - Business Consultant
ABC Solutions
ajones@abcsolutions.cjb.net

PepperfireThu Aug-07-08 06:17 AM

#2. "RE: Marketing Stagnation!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

>My newest approach is to send a mailer to new home buyers. I
>have sent approx. a hundred, just to feel things out. It has
>been 3 weeks and nothing.

I highly recommend that you follow up on the flyers that you sent. There are probably a couple who have thought about you, but are too busy thinking about their own lives to call you and a call following up on your flyer just might be the catalyst for business that you wanted.

I would, in future, recommend sending a targeted mailing to specific addresses 20 or so a day, and then following up with a telephone call a week later...

Also, mine your existing customer base, ask them for referrals of people who they think may need work done on their home.

Another option is to drive around look for obvious repair needs, send a targeted note saying you noticed the following problems, and then call to follow that up.

Finally, you might try offering free home consultations, and bang on that door to see who opens.

Good luck with it.

I haven't time to look at your website right now, but others will give feedback.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

cooperwinstonThu Aug-07-08 06:52 AM

#3. "RE: Marketing Stagnation!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

I sent the letters made out to the new residence, figuring the more direct the better. I have no access to phone #'s as I looked for those before I sent the letters out.

I do also send out a bi-weekly newsletter via email to current customers and realtors that recommend us to their clients.

Thanks for your input.

Debra

PepperfireFri Aug-08-08 03:38 AM

#4. "RE: Marketing Stagnation!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

You'll find the name and contact information for the new owner on the public register at City Hall.

Is your newsletter online? You might want to post it, and expand your mailing list to include local emails. I've been using a facebook account to target our customers and generate new local interest and it seems to be having a really interesting affect.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

ree4264Sat Aug-09-08 01:06 PM

#5. "RE: Marketing Stagnation!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

If you haven't already, you might consider on a test basis including either a Business Reply Card/envelope or SASE (Self-addressed stamped envelope)or card as part of your mailing. Either on the card or your flyer include an area for the prospective client to fill in their contact information, etc.(keep it simple) This is obviously a more costly way to reach your market but the response for same could well outweigh the extra expense. The important thing is to TEST! TEST! TEST! until you get it right.

By the way, a 3% response is considered about average for direct mail.

Lobby Marketing Mix topic #1181 Previous topic | Next topic