Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Marketing Mix topic #117

Subject: "Help me with my direct mail campaign" Previous topic | Next topic
samiaSat Oct-21-06 11:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Help me with my direct mail campaign"

Hi,

I will appreciate if someone can help me with building awareness and also druming up some business for my start-up. I'm thinking of direct mail however, I have read somewhere that 1 or 2 mails (mailouts) for a direct mail will not do. You need to do 3+ mails. So my question is what would be the the content of the 1st mail, 2nd mail, 3 mail etc, etc. I'm at loss of what/how since am just introducing my services. What would the introductory letter read like? Then what would the second letter read etc. etc.

Thanks in advance,

Samia

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Help me with my direct mail campaign
Oct 23rd 2006
Nov 02nd 2006
Nov 08th 2006
Nov 11th 2006
Nov 22nd 2006

CyberHostMon Oct-23-06 06:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Help me with my direct mail campaign"
In response to Reply # 0

Samia,

If you are seeking help, go to "Marketing Mix." This forum is for people to share a tip or a trick that helps them save money, time or their sanity. Thanks for Schmoozing!

Cyberhost at Idea CafeThe Fun Place for Serious Business(sm)

kristyblairThu Nov-02-06 01:42 PM

#2. "RE: Help me with my direct mail campaign"
In response to Reply # 0

Samia,

There are so many ways of promoting your business...Alot of people think so convemtionally, that sometimes all it takes is a little something different to bring in clients..

I am a promotional consultant, I help with all different types of promotions.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance,
Kristen

BarcelonaWed Nov-08-06 12:03 PM

#3. "RE: Help me with my direct mail campaign"
In response to Reply # 0

hi Samia,

Direct Mail works!!! and you are correct you must do it in WAVES... 3 minimum and the COPY (text) is super important. Tell us about your business and we will all help you out!

BARCELONA http://www.Barcelona.la

leinwandmSat Nov-11-06 08:53 AM

#4. "RE: Help me with my direct mail campaign"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi,

I'm an insurance agent and I do direct mailing constantly. The trick is to keep track of how many letters you send out and then keep track of not only how many sales you get, but all call backs in general. Remember, even though you didn't make the sale, if they called back, you may still get them as a customer in the future.

When I get a call back and it doesn't work out and the sale is not made, I still keep the persons info on file and try again the next year.

Last month I did two mailing...
1. Unaddressed Ad mail (Flyers randomly sent to a specific Zip/Postal code)= 5000 pieces
2. A letter that I folded, stuffed in an envelope and stamped myself with a return address stamp (more personal) = 500 pieces

The second option takes more time and costs more money, but the return is much better. People look at unaddressed mail and throw it away because it's, if they see an envelope with their name, a stamp and a return address, they are more likely to open it.

The results I've tracked over the past year of doing each monthly and this is the results I get for every 1000 sent out.....
1. Unaddressed ad mail = 5/1000 (.5%)
2. Addressed mail = 10/1000 (1%)

These numbers don't include the best factor, which is referrals; I can?t count the number of referrals I've gotten from clients I obtained using mailing campaigns!!

My last bit of advice...
Create an excel spreadsheet to track the number of people you mail to, number of callbacks, number of sales, cost per mailing, etc. I have a great one that I made but is geared towards the insurance industry. I could send it to you if you'd like as an example. Just email me at mleinwand@rogers.com

wjtoppWed Nov-22-06 10:53 AM

#5. "RE: Help me with my direct mail campaign"
In response to Reply # 0

One of the best ways of repeated direct mail campaigns is to do the following:

1. Identify your ideal target market and obtain a list matching those requirements
2. Segment your list into 7 (or more) groups -- it doesn't matter how you segment
3. Create 7 different direct mailing pieces -- each with a different but painful message that only YOU can solve
4. Week 1 -- mail to Group 1 with mailing 1
5. Week 2 -- mail to Group 1 with mailing 2
mail to Group 2 with mailing 1
Follow up with Group 1 to set up an appointment to discuss a fit
6. Week 3 -- mail to Group 1 with mailing 3
mail to Group 2 with mailing 2
mail to Group 3 with mailing 1
Follow up with Group 1 & Group 2
7. Continue this way until you have mailed mailing 1 to Group 7 and followed up with Group 1 through Group 6
8. Fold additional groups into the mix by dropping off the oldest Group and continuing the process.
9. Repeat the process with a new marketing campaign ...

By the time you have exhausted all your groups and mailings, you will have touched your target market 7 times and probably gained a few clients along the way.

Also, consider giving low-cost email marketing and newsletters a shot.

Need help implementing? Give me a call at 269-341-9263 or 269-744-1509 and we can discuss these options. It certainly would help to know what business you are in and what pain you solve.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Regards,
Bill Topp
Owner, JMC Consultants
269-341-9263 or 269-744-1509

Lobby Marketing Mix topic #117 Previous topic | Next topic