Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Marketing Mix topic #1147

Subject: "How to: Ask for a Letter of Recommendation? Pt I and II" Previous topic | Next topic
MVSSun Jul-20-08 04:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How to: Ask for a Letter of Recommendation? Pt I and II"

Part I

I am about to make the transiton from my current position within the company to another department. I have a biz plan that is moving forward as I have planned. ( Marquis Vehicle Services ) and in order to place my ducks in a row, I would like to ask for a few letters of recommendation.

Thing is, in 37 years - I cannot remember a time that I have ever asked for one.

How would one do it? How would you ask? I know each of my clients well enough to ask for it, I just want to be professional in my approach.
I have searched online - but it all seems pretty generic - Do I want a personal or business recommendation?

What are your suggestions?

How do I approach each person?
Is e-mail, snail mail, phone call, or in person the " right " way ?
Do I offer a pre-written script for them to personalize?
What information do I need to offer them once they agree to write one?

Part II

I have had several letters come in already, using the direct, phone call approach. I sent 2 via e-mail with positive replies as well!

Next hurdle I have come to:

I work directly with a estate manager or head of security , and yes I am reaching a little, but I want to ask for a rec from the actual owner of the vehicle. The "well established" relationship is with the above person(s) - though the vehicle owners know me by name and I feel they are aware of what I have provided them as far as service goes... so:

Do I ask the estate manager to write the letter?
Do I ask the estate manager to ask the actual vehicle owner for a letter?
Do I attempt to ask directly, though going through the estate manager, to get the chance to do so?

The letters would hold alot of weight if I could get them, but maybe the letter from the estate manager would carry the same weight, as in their title , it would show who they were working for and in turn provide the same end result.

My S/O says I am thinking to much about this, just ask... I think I have one chance at it and I want it to be productive.

As always, Thank you for your time in reading and responding!

Steve

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby
Lobby Marketing Mix topic #1147 Previous topic | Next topic