Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Marketing Mix topic #104

Subject: "Traffic to Website" Previous topic | Next topic
mdegillsFri Nov-03-06 04:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Traffic to Website"
Fri Nov-03-06 05:06 PM by mdegills

Hi,
My website(www.mdegills.biz)has been up a running for 2months now and I've seen very little traffic. I've sent out the grand opening email to family and friends. I've done the search engine submission with earthlink and I am still not seeing the traffic that I thought I would. What should I do now?

Thanks in advance!

Marsha Gill
www.mdegillsaccessories.net

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
This page is in overload mode.[View all]
Subthread pages: Top | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

phardytechMon Nov-13-06 03:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#3. "RE: Traffic to Website"
In response to Reply # 0

Mdegills,

Two months? Considering what you've done so far, you are on the right track.

There is very little you can do in the form of "instant gratification" when it comes to website traffic - except for one thing. I'll explain more on that a little later.

Sending an e-mail to your family and friends is the right thing to do; however, word-of-mouth spreads very slowly.

Search engine submission is a good idea, but it does not bring you instant traffic. Search engine submission simply lets a search engine know that you exist. It does not mean that the engine will stop by your website and index it. If the search engine decides to index your site, it will take a while before it actually does.

Let's take Google for example. On average, it takes about 6 weeks before Google visits your site after submission. Once visited, it can take another couple of weeks before you show up in their index. So now, we're already talking about two months.

Now, assuming... and I'm making a HUGE assumption here... that your website has been optimized with proper search terms, only then will you start to see some results. Natural search ranking traffic takes a long time to develop.

The word is patience, my friend.

Because natural search traffic takes a long time to develop, something called "pay-per-click" advertising or "sponsored advertising" was invented. Once you set up an advertising account and dedicate a traffic budget to it, you will then almost instantaneously receive traffic.

If you'd like more information on sponsored advertising or more information on search engine marketing in general, check out this special page located at http://www.patrickhardy.com/cafesem or call me at 1-800-896-4022.

Let me know if this helps you.

Regards,

Pat Hardy
P Hardy Technologies, Inc.
Retail and Internet Consulting Solutions.
50 Charles Lindbergh Blvd. #400, Uniondale, NY 11553
1-800-896-4022 (phone) 516-342-4825 (fax)

Looking for higher profits this holiday season? Visit:
www.phardy.com/ideacafe for more information.

Replies to this subthread
RE: Traffic to Website, mdegills, Nov 14th 2006, #4
      RE: Traffic to Website, grafman, Nov 18th 2006, #5
           RE: Traffic to Website, mdegills, Nov 30th 2006, #12

mdegillsTue Nov-14-06 02:45 PM

#4. "RE: Traffic to Website"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks! The information you provided has been very helpful! I didn't realize just how intense this process would be. Right now I am going to try exercise a little patience. This is a small business that I am funding with my day job and before I jump into pay per click I want to understand the process completely.

Thanks!

Marsha Gill

grafmanSat Nov-18-06 09:25 AM

#5. "RE: Traffic to Website"
In response to Reply # 4

I think that its important to add that marketing a website isn't just counting on search engines.

Regional marketing happen by you coordinating some advertising and printed materials that all have your URL on them. If your product has local value and not just net value advertise in some of the local neighborhood papers. The ads are usually very inexpensive and the circulation is limited to a subdivision or a smaller area. However, its an inexpensive way to get your message out there that you exist.

Make sure to have a "Promotional Code" on the message so when you ask people "how did you hear about us?" when they call or email an order you'll be able to track the effectiveness of your ads.

You can do similar things on the internet. Go to sites that cater to the interests of your customers. For instance you might find fashion, art, or similar sites where you can post an add. Write articles for these sites and they will normally put up your article with a resource box that has your business name and URL.

Try some of the online free classifieds listings like www.craigslist.com. There are many of these out there and while you may not get a lot of direct business out of them at first the search engines find links back to your site making it more interesting and giving it a higher ranking.

Run a few auctions of your wares on ebay or even get an ebay store. Use their muscle to help get you going. A yahoo store is another way to get some good exposure as well as some good business.

You can also become an Amazon affiliate. Its free and their URL ties you back to some good link equity with the search engines.

Another really good way to market an internet web site is to go to forums and answer questions. There are a ton of folks who do that at this site. Go to women's fashion forums, crafts sites, teen sites, art and design sites, etc.

If you are geared for good production you could offer affiliate opportunities to others who may already sell goods that your products might go with.

The bottom line is that website promotion and online sales is a multi-faceted and you have to fit all of the pieces in your marketing mix.

"Things are difficult only while you don't understand them."

mdegillsThu Nov-30-06 04:19 PM

#12. "RE: Traffic to Website"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks for the information. I'd thought about doing newspaper ads but I wasn't sure if it was a good route to take considering that I am on line and i'd be competing with the local markets. You made a lot of good points so I am going to look into running ads and never thought about the fashion forums and etc. THANKS!!!

Marsha Gill

Lobby Marketing Mix topic #104 Previous topic | Next topic