Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Financial Feast topic #972

Subject: "Greetings From the Newbee" Previous topic | Next topic
working43Mon Apr-02-12 08:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Greetings From the Newbee"

I am in the start-up phase of my business and I am REALLY struggling like most new businesses to find capital. I have done search after search for funding and because I am a single parent I do not qualify for loans due to my income level. I have tried the SBIR, and SBA for assistance only to run into a Wall. Does anyone here have any ideas on how to receive start-up funding for my franchise? I have 75% of the money for the start-up.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom!

Working43

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

arrowfineartWed Apr-04-12 09:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Greetings From the Newbee"
In response to Reply # 0

Hello,

I completely understand where you're at. I recently opened a small business and experienced much of the same that you are now going through. After preparing a very detailed Business Plan (made possible with help from the Small Business Center of a local community college) I reached out to family and friends and friends of friends. Ultimately attaining most of what I needed.
If your business plan includes any flexibility I would start there - cut it down to the very basic minimum, especially if you already have 75%. I also used my credit cards to purchase initial inventory and although that was very a expensive way to start, it got me going...
Ive heard numerous times that banks, the SBA, or any "traditional" lending organizations will NOT lend to start-up businesses. I think it's true! Once opened you might have a better chance of getting some funding.
Sometimes Cities have a fund for small business initial start-up expenses. Check with your city...
Honestly, if you can overcome in this area and still open you'll probably do well once in business. It's a lot more than I ever imagined (especially in this economy!) and running a small business takes all kinds of savvy and ingenuity!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Financial Feast topic #972 Previous topic | Next topic