Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Financial Feast topic #757

Subject: "Funding for Gift Shop" Previous topic | Next topic
sewcuteTue Apr-21-09 06:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Funding for Gift Shop"

Hi,

I have been in the retail craft business for over 17 years. I run my own online shop since 2005. Right now I am looking to expand into a small gift shop.
In my area the shop runs about $400-650 a month rent which is not bad compared to some other places I have researched.

Right now I am looking for a grant or place to obtain funding for the shop. I have obtain most of my inventory so I am saving some money there. I look for funding of $10,000 to get me started.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your time

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

bizdevSun Apr-26-09 02:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Funding for Gift Shop"
In response to Reply # 0

First of all forget about grants. You will be wasting valuable time and effort in search of non existent free money. There are no free rides folks.

While $10,000 doesn't sound like a lot of money, a bank or any lender for that matter, will still expect you to meet the same requirements as someone asking for $100,000. You will need excellent credit, at least 20% of the required capital coming from you (cash), experience in the industry and collateral.

The same criteria will be required even for a micro loan.

Considering the economic conditions we are living under today, getting a loan is a long shot. Your best bet is to write your business plan and then start approaching family and friends for personal loans or investors. If your formal business plan can substantiate your assumptions (profitability) and you can get others excited about your business idea, then you might be able to raise that $10,000.

Have you considered finding other crafters and creating a co-op? Maybe with a group effort you can come up with the capital and share the space and the expenses?

Sylvia
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz
Startup & Biz Plan Help
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz/blog

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Financial Feast topic #757 Previous topic | Next topic