Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Financial Feast topic #75

Subject: "Info From Investors" Previous topic | Next topic
Mike63Thu Oct-26-06 11:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Info From Investors"

I have been in contact with an investor from Italy who has agreed to extend a loan for my business. The terms for the loan are: 3% interest to be paid every 12 months. Option to pay off in 5 years. Total amount to be paid at the end of 10 year term. This investor recieved my business plan from The 504bank website and has been contacting me by telephone 2-3 times a week. Terms have been agreed to and the time has come to set a date to go to Italy and meet face to face. My questions below are for investors. The first question is one of the most important.

My questions are(FOR ACREDITED INVESTORS ONLY):
1. As an investor what would you think if I asked you to come to the U.S. to meet? (I've already decided to take the trip but this needed to be asked for other reasons)

2. If this is a scam what could the scam be?

3. What channels could I use to check this person out further?

4. As the investor how would you distribute the funds in this type of Investment/Loan?

5. What is the best bank system to use for this type of transaction?

6. What international business laws should I be fimilar with for this transaction?(besides the rules for a LLC)

7. What type of advisor should we seek?

8. Will a bank have info on this type of transaction, if so what section?

We are a LLC.
The trip will be scheduled for January 2007 so we have time to perfect everything. My business partner and I are giving a Powerpoint Presentation and are very confident in our presentation. Answers to these questions will greatly help us achieve our goal for this trip and any additional advice is appreciated.

Mike63

Mike

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Info From Investors
Oct 28th 2006
RE: Info From Investors
Oct 28th 2006

PhanntomSat Oct-28-06 07:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Info From Investors"
In response to Reply # 0

You use two terms interchangeably that you had better be clear on. You mention investor, and loan. An investor "usually" invests in a business with the idea of getting their investment and their return down the road when the business is a success. A loan is from a lender that's looking for a locked in return up front and has a scheduled payback. That's not to say that there aren't investors who loan, but they are still going to want a stake in your business. As an investor, why would you settle for a 3% return when you can buy into the DOW or S&P and get closer to 12-15%. You have to answer this in your own mind.

I wouldn't meet with anyone in a foreign country about money anywhere but a public place, unless it's a legitimate banking operation.

Make sure you don't pay ANY fees up-front...any fees should be deducted from the proceeds of the loan.

You can hire a P.I. to check them out.

Distributions of funds can be structured anyway the two of you agree on...either lump-sum or progress payments.

Any commercial bank can handle your transactions, HOWEVER, any account they say they need access to I wouldn't keep more than $100 in.

You shouldn't be familiar with any international business laws...you should have an international lawyer who is. If anything goes wrong in international business you have very little recourse.

If I were the guy with the money and I didn't want to travel...I'd expect the person wanting the money to do the travelling.
Hope this helps
Denny

Denny

Mike63Sat Oct-28-06 12:27 PM

#2. "RE: Info From Investors"
In response to Reply # 1

Thankx for the info Denny.

After continued searches on this investor I found that it is a scam. These are some of the names that these scam artist use: Albinali & Sons, Devcom Partners and Financial Credit. This one claimed that he was from Italy and actually made serveral overseas calls to me. Here is a site to get details on how these scams work:
http://pentucky.tripod.com/

Mike63

Mike

Lobby Financial Feast topic #75 Previous topic | Next topic