Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Financial Feast topic #64

Subject: "starting a new business..." Previous topic | Next topic
VLomasFri Oct-20-06 06:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"starting a new business..."

I have recently been inspired to follow a business idea that I have for a restaraunt geared for girls and woman. My restaraunt will have an "Alice in Wonderland" theme and I am also trying to put a boutique in there. The problem is that I have no money and I've been looking for grants. I'm working towards getting my business name registered and to get my website up and running. I've started on my business plan and I've been checking the business grant pages on the idea cafe website. Please let me know if you've heard of a woman's business grant or for minorities or even another website I can look into. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Victoria M Lomas

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: starting a new business...
Oct 21st 2006
RE: starting a new business...
Oct 27th 2006

bizdevSat Oct-21-06 02:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: starting a new business..."
In response to Reply # 0

You need to refocus your energies on other ways to raise your startup capital. You will not find a grant for your restaraunt. Sure there are women's groups that might offer a $500-$1500 grant, but you would be competing against thousands of others. And that tiny amount won't help you much when you discover (through your business plan) that you are going to need around $50,000-$100,000 just to get you started.

Grants, angels and venture capitalists are not going to fund a new, small business. It's a harsh reality, but going into business for yourself means having to come to the table with your own monies. Your best bet would be an SBA backed loan, but even then you need a good 30% of the start up funds coming straight from your own pocket.

I offer other funding ideas in my start up kit below.

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

Roseb441702Fri Oct-27-06 08:14 PM

#2. "RE: starting a new business..."
In response to Reply # 0

>I have recently been inspired to follow a business idea that
>I have for a restaraunt geared for girls and woman. My
>restaraunt will have an "Alice in Wonderland" theme
>and I am also trying to put a boutique in there. The problem
>is that I have no money and I've been looking for grants. I'm
>working towards getting my business name registered and to get
>my website up and running. I've started on my business plan
>and I've been checking the business grant pages on the idea
>cafe website. Please let me know if you've heard of a woman's
>business grant or for minorities or even another website I can
>look into. Any help would be very much appreciated.
>Victoria M Lomas

I'm wondering about what you did with the grant information that was supplied on the ideas cafe site? Are you applying for any of those?

If you want to go the grant route one of the things that you are going to have to understand is that it will be a process. Most of the grant programs that I know of that are related to entrepreneurial type endeavors require a complete business plan of some sort specifically outlining what the grant money will be going towards.

You also have to understand the objectives of grant programs in the first place and that is to bring an awareness to something or fill a need. In your specific case you should first check and see if your local area has any grant programs relating to starting a business. Will your business bring jobs to the area? Can you incorporate some kind of special awareness or need into your business that there are grant programs for?

And last but not least as a number of replies have pointed out - what about your experience with operating a restaurant. One of the most notorious disadvantages to opening a restaurant is the inspection and food and health-related needs that have to be met.

I'm not trying to discourage you but there are a lot of things that have to be taken care of - most notably the planning of your restaurant - and more notably the specifics of your restaurant plan.

Rose
Grant Basics 101
http://grantbasics101.bravehost.com/grants.htm

Lobby Financial Feast topic #64 Previous topic | Next topic