Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Financial Feast topic #542

Subject: "partnership buyout" Previous topic | Next topic
qwest250Wed Jun-18-08 03:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"partnership buyout"

"does my partner owe me on a buy out?"

I have left a business that my brother and I started 5 years ago. With the current housing economy our company could no longer sustain both our families. He had a recent home equity line that he was able to use until business picked back up. It has now been 5 months and we are tying up loose ends.

He feels that since I left he owes me nothing for the business. I believe that since he has been operating under my contractors license I am still owed a buyout value and have equity in a company that will potentially end 2008 earning a net cash flow of 100,000.

He would like me to sign over my share to him for zero money.

This is by far a slow year, years past our net cash flow has been 3xs that amount, that we have typically split. We have no debt to speak of only payment on 35,000 dollar work truck.

Am I at fault to believe I am owed on the future earning potential of the reputation and business contacts that I have been an intregal part of? As I said before, the contractors license belongs to me.

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: partnership buyout
Jun 18th 2008
RE: partnership buyout
Jun 30th 2008

qwest250Wed Jun-18-08 03:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: partnership buyout"
In response to Reply # 0

If Any one has a comment, much gratitude, need to be done soon.
Thanks.

PhanntomMon Jun-30-08 05:22 PM

#2. "RE: partnership buyout"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm assuming you didn't have a partnership agreement with a buy/sell or liquidation clause in it.

Not knowing what each of you brought to the table in the beginning makes it difficult. If he put up the startup money, and working capital and you provided the license, I'd say you're probably even.

If I were your partner I "think" my position would be. I'm the one that got and am responsible for the loan to sustain the business, without it...it would be gone. I would probably try to work out a deal, probably on a percentage basis to "rent" your license for a period of time. This is something I can do pretty readily with anyone else...Then it's just a matter of what the percentage should be. My buddy has a drain cleaning and plumbing business and he rents the license of the guy he bought the business from for 10% of the labor on plumbing jobs only, since in my state you don't have to have a plumbers license to clear drains.

All indications are the current economic climate is going to be around for at least a couple more years. That may limit the future potential of the business.

This isn't the only way to handle it, but it's the way I would. In either case...whatever you agree on...have a lawyer draw it up for you.
Denny

Lobby Financial Feast topic #542 Previous topic | Next topic