Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Financial Feast topic #497

Subject: "Tell me, would you invest?" Previous topic | Next topic
sosThu Mar-20-08 06:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tell me, would you invest?"

I'm planning a new business venture, a small advertising agency. To finance it I'm considering soliciting investors to "invest" in exchange for a lucrative advertising package (online, mobile, and print) at a 40% discount. With the average cost of advertising I feel this is a win-win partnership.
Tell me, would you invest? If not, what would sweeten the deal? I welcome any feedback.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Tell me, would you invest?
Mar 21st 2008
Mar 22nd 2008
Apr 02nd 2008

oviedostyleFri Mar-21-08 09:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Tell me, would you invest?"
In response to Reply # 0

It sounds like a great idea. I am in no position to invest right now, but if I was, that would peak my interest. I think it depends on how much people invest. If it is a large amount then a 40% discount may not be enough.

Have you though about not charging the investors, but instead asking for a free baner ad on their site or flyer in their store in exchange for your work? I with you much luck with your endeavor.

Leah Oviedo
Mercado del Mundo

JeffMooreSat Mar-22-08 05:06 AM

#2. "RE: Tell me, would you invest?"
In response to Reply # 0

This feedback will be direct - you deserve it:

I would not invest at this point.

> it is not an investment. there is no equity ownership here.

> who are you? what is your business plan? I have no idea who you
are and if you have the capability to do what you advertise.

> I'll think you'll turn people off by even using the term "invest" and then stating you'll offer a 40% discount. (it created a negative reaction in my mind) - there's alot of scams on the internet these days so people are wary.

> If I was providing money up front, I would expect a certain number of hours of work for free, and I would expect these hours to correspond to a significant discount over what I would be able to get if I paid for services from an established business with an established track record. this should include a specific number of online or print advertisements where you have done the research in advance to be able to predict the cost to ensure you have everything covered.

> By the way - your investment must be pretty small if you organize it properly. A basic home office setup? (PC, printer, website, etc.). OK maybe $5,000 to do it right.

On the positive side: you're hear asking for feedback so you clearly are looking for what will work and how to strick a win-win deal. I hope my feedback only encourages you to keep thinking - I do like your out-of-the box thinking to find creative ways to finance your startup.

I suggest you take a look at the webpage: http://www.smallbizexcel.com/SmallBusinessPrinciples.html. I'd appreciate your straightforward feedback as well - that's the only way we will learn, grow and be successful.

Keep pushing on and please take this as constructive feedback.

Jeff Moore
jeff@smallbizexcel.com
www.smallbizexcel.com

bizconsultantWed Apr-02-08 04:10 AM

#3. "RE: Tell me, would you invest?"
In response to Reply # 0

A real simple way to get it done is instead of just offering blanket advertising in the beggining is to develop a "package deal" that if you sold x amoount of these package deals would finance your business. Using the term invest throws up some red flags so I would stay away from it personally. But one of the best ways to finance a start up is with customers so you are on the right track. Now just narrow it down a bit, do some freebie work if possible to build a portfolio so that people know you can do what you say with confidence.

Good luck on your venture and if you need any more help you may want to check out www.buildabusinessworkshop.com

>I'm planning a new business venture, a small advertising
>agency. To finance it I'm considering soliciting investors to
>"invest" in exchange for a lucrative advertising
>package (online, mobile, and print) at a 40% discount. With
>the average cost of advertising I feel this is a win-win
>partnership.
>Tell me, would you invest? If not, what would sweeten the
>deal? I welcome any feedback.

Anthony Jones - Business Consultant
ABC Solutions
ajones@abcsolutions.cjb.net