Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Financial Feast topic #169

Subject: "Not sure what to do now..." Previous topic | Next topic
lisasgourmetMon Feb-19-07 04:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Not sure what to do now..."

I had a meeting with a local bank that is "friendly" to small businesses.

Business plan is completed and great. Meeting went well. I thought.

Banker called me back & wants me to find a "co-signer" instead of writing up an SBA-backed loan package.

What do I do now? My personal funds have been depleted. I have no family that I can ask to put up their house, etc. or co-sign.

Do I move on to next bank or what?

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

http://www.allthingscheesecake.com

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with cheesecake!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Not sure what to do now...
Feb 19th 2007
Feb 19th 2007
Feb 19th 2007
Feb 20th 2007
Feb 21st 2007
Feb 21st 2007

BizConsultingMon Feb-19-07 05:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Not sure what to do now..."
In response to Reply # 0

Lisa;

Well shoot! So sorry to hear about the banks response.

Did they give a reason why they want you to find a "co-signer" instead of writing up an SBA-backed loan?

You said your funds are depleted. For some this means they are truely zero (or close enough). For others this means they have $20,000 left in the bank. Since I don't know you, do you have any funds that you can put up at this time? House? Car? IRA? 401k? Anything?

Suzanne

lisasgourmetMon Feb-19-07 05:36 AM

#2. "RE: Not sure what to do now..."
In response to Reply # 1

I have 1500 in my biz account that is to be used for unexpected expenses, as outlined in my plan. So far, I have invested about 12000 in operating, equipment purchases, expenses with 3000 in cahs infusions from me and sales.

It comes to about 24% of what I am asking for. At this time, there is nothing that I can put up for collateral. Isn't this the reason people go for the SBA-backed loan? To have a portion of the loan guaranteed by the SBA?

Very frustrating to come this far, do all this work to be held up because I just don't have any more money. If I had it, I wouldn't be asking for it, right?? Arggh! I hate banks!

LOL.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with cheesecake!

BizConsultingMon Feb-19-07 10:22 AM

#3. "RE: Not sure what to do now..."
In response to Reply # 2

Those blasted bankers. I feel your pain. Please know you are not alone. This is a common stumbling block. However, you may have some options.

When it comes to obtaining financing, that varies on a case by case basis. To get advice on your situation, you would need to have a consultant review your business plan to see where to go from here.

I would suggest you contact 3 different consultants. You know what type of person or business you prefer to work with. Interview them and go with the best fit.

My partner, Michael, is quite skilled in business plans and helping small business owners obtain financing. www.newbiz-coaching.com. If you are interested, we can set up an initial conference call (no charge to you)to see if we can help.

Lisa, you don't know me from Adam. I wouldn't blame you if you don't want our help. Working with us is not the point. I encourage you to find someone who can help. You have worked too hard to stop now.

Like many on this board, I have been following your story for a while. I would love to see your dream become reality.

Best of Luck!

Suzanne
SHB Consultants, Inc.

bizdevTue Feb-20-07 11:27 AM

#4. "RE: Not sure what to do now..."
In response to Reply # 0

Move on to the next bank.
It is quite normal for someone to go to several different banks before they find one that will back them.

However, they will likely all require that you have at least 20% of your start up costs funded by yourself. I don't think they will count what you have already spent as part of that 20%.

Have you tried for a microloan? Look through the SBA website and look for microloan intermediaries. They are a little more flexible. Intermediaries work only with local businesses, but they are located in many parts of the country and cover a pretty wide territory.

Don't give up! You've come so far already.

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

lisasgourmetWed Feb-21-07 04:03 AM

#5. "RE: Not sure what to do now..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hello Again Everyone!

There is an update and a bit of light at the end of the Financing Tunnel! LOL

Talked with my banker again. I found a MUCH better location in the very heart of our downtown area --- it doesn't get much better than this!

Because of the new location, he is rethinking the loan request and is going to speak with my mentor at the SBDC. He seemed much more happy about the loan with this new location.

I guess I should mention that I also bank with this institution and have for a very long time.

So, this makes me a bit happier and have decided to write a paper about this process from the beginnings to the end --- whether it be getting funded or continuing on my current path.

Hopefully, it will be something that others can use and learn from -- if not for posterity! LOL!

Lisa

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with cheesecake

BizConsultingWed Feb-21-07 04:19 AM

#6. "RE: Not sure what to do now..."
In response to Reply # 5

Lisa;

That is Wonderful News! I am so happy for you.

Good for you for having a long-term relationship with one bank. That increases your chances quite a bit when trying to obtain a loan. I am glad you went back to them to work things out.

Going to another bank typically doesn't help much unless you have some sort of long-term relationship with someone there.

I like the idea of writing a paper on your experience. At some point you can write an e-book on your experience in starting up a business and sell it thru an affiliate program or something. Just a thought!

Best of Luck to you! Please keep us posted on your progress.

Suzanne
www.NewBiz-Coaching.com

P.S. - I checked out your website and got hungry. Yum!

Lobby Financial Feast topic #169 Previous topic | Next topic