Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Financial Feast topic #163

Subject: "Refinancing home to use home equity to finance business?" Previous topic | Next topic
harmony2007Thu Feb-15-07 02:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Refinancing home to use home equity to finance business?"

Harmony2007

Refinancing home to use home equity to finance business is this a good idea? I would like to expand my business, but I need financial aid. Is refinancing to use home equity to finance business idea , a good idea, or is it to risky.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Refinancing home to use home equity to finance business?
Feb 18th 2007
RE: Refinancing home to use home equity to finance business?
Feb 22nd 2007

bizdevSun Feb-18-07 03:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Refinancing home to use home equity to finance business?"
In response to Reply # 0

Using a home quity loan for a business is fine if you can be certain that you can afford the loan payments if your business goes bust. Or if you know you will be ok if you need to sell the home. If you have a family, then of course the risk is much greater. If you are on your own then decide if you can start over should it come to that.

You can also try applying for a micro loan through the SBA. They will require collateral (your home). One difference between a micro loan and a home equity loan is the repayment schedule. A micro loan intermediary can work with you by customizing the terms in your favor.

You will also need a complete business plan. See below for more info on how to write your own business plan:
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz/plan/

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

csk317Thu Feb-22-07 06:24 PM

#2. "RE: Refinancing home to use home equity to finance business?"
In response to Reply # 1

Having financed many people out of SBA loans, I can tell you SBA is not the best way to go. They are expensive and do require collateral.
If you have equity in your house, your best option to minimalize risk and get the money you need, is to take a fixed Interest Only 1st Trust Deed. You will know what your maximum payments are no matter what. Equity lines are okay, but you are going to pay a higher rate, and they are going to be adjustable. Take out all the money you will need on the first, and pay down what you don't use. Your payments will reflect the principal loan balance no matter what, you will be able to write off the interest on your taxes, and you are not leaving your butt floating in the breeze when inflation starts to affect interest rates. That would be my suggestion. There are also convertible equity lines that have interest only options, but again they are still higher interest rates. If you have any questions, feel free to email me. I would be happy to talk to you more about it, but starting a business should be about long term survival and short term cash flow. -chris
csk317@yahoo.com

Lobby Financial Feast topic #163 Previous topic | Next topic