Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Financial Feast topic #150

Subject: "Grants for Hanicap?" Previous topic | Next topic
fishrangThu Feb-08-07 04:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Grants for Hanicap?"

Hello all! This is my first post to any kind of forum, so please bear with me, should I say the wrong things.

I was born blind in one eye. The DMV in the state I live in considers me to be handicap, because they issued me a handicap placard after applying for one. I am looking for grants so that I can be able to purchase inventory, office supplies and such for my jewelry business. I cannot get conventional loans, and have not tried the SBA because of stories I've heard of people being turned down. My family and what few friends I have, are in no way able to help financially.

Now here is my question:
Would being blind in one eye since birth qualify me to get a grant for the handicap from the federal govt.?

Any replies would be most helpful.
Thank you all for your time.

fishrang
www.halfmoonsales.com
sales@halfmoonsales.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Grants for Hanicap?
Feb 09th 2007
Feb 14th 2007
Feb 23rd 2007
Feb 23rd 2007
Feb 23rd 2007
Feb 23rd 2007

lisasgourmetFri Feb-09-07 03:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Grants for Hanicap?"
In response to Reply # 0

First, it is going to depend on your state's description of a handicap. Just research for any state or federal programs. You can get to the links from the grant center on this site.

Second, don't let "horror" stories about the SBA get you down. Keep in mind that the SBA does not actually loan money, but guarantees a portion that the lender may issue you.

Third, talk to your local SBDC. They are free and can provide you with a wealth of information. You absolutely MUST have a business plan before approaching anyone for any type of money -- yes, even grant money. You have to be able to show how much, why, and what you would be using the funds for.

Fourth -- don't let your handicap prevent you from pursuing this. Make it an advantage in some way!

Have a great weekend!

Lisa

http://www.allthingscheesecake.com

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with cheesecake!

fishrangWed Feb-14-07 04:06 PM

#2. "RE: Grants for Hanicap?"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the advice Lisa. I am working on a business plan now, and have also maybe found some other financing option other than grants. And no I will not let my handicap discourage me. If anything, it makes me want to try that much harder. Thanks again for the advice.

fishrang
www.halfmoonsales.com
sales@halfmoonsales.com

Roseb441702Fri Feb-23-07 04:39 PM

#3. "RE: Grants for Hanicap?"
In response to Reply # 0

>Hello all! This is my first post to any kind of forum, so
>please bear with me, should I say the wrong things.
>
>I was born blind in one eye. The DMV in the state I live in
>considers me to be handicap, because they issued me a handicap
>placard after applying for one. I am looking for grants so
>that I can be able to purchase inventory, office supplies and
>such for my jewelry business. I cannot get conventional loans,
>and have not tried the SBA because of stories I've heard of
>people being turned down. My family and what few friends I
>have, are in no way able to help financially.
>
>Now here is my question:
>Would being blind in one eye since birth qualify me to get a
>grant for the handicap from the federal govt.?
>
>Any replies would be most helpful.
>Thank you all for your time.

The best way for you to tell if you would qualify for any of their programs is for you to go to the government's website and see what grant programs that they currently have. Some of these programs are open to the public which means that anyone or business can apply.

Number two you have to realize that it is not just the government that has grant programs. Going from your post above you should also be looking for grant programs from organizations that have to do with jewelery-making, handicapped people, women and the grants that fall under the category of entrepreneurial grant programs. Bear in mind that you don't just have to apply for just one grant program. Unless it specifically says so you can apply for as many grant programs that you qualify for.

I also have the question as to why you want to start on such a large scale as opposed to starting to sell from your home. Having a physical storefront will involve a lot of overhead.

Rose
Grant Basics 101
http://grantbasics101.bravehost.com/grants.htm

fishrangFri Feb-23-07 05:33 PM

#4. "RE: Grants for Hanicap?"
In response to Reply # 3

Hi Rose,
I am not wanting to open a store front, like a brick and mortar store front. I just need more money so I can buy extra catalogs, more stock (to sell at local flea markets), have order forms printed and things like that. I already sell out of my home by showing the catalog and refering people to my website http://www.halfmoonsales.com. Agrant as low as $1000.00 would get things rolling good.

Oh, and thanks to all who have replyed.

fishrang
www.halfmoonsales.com
sales@halfmoonsales.com

lisasgourmetFri Feb-23-07 06:28 PM

#5. "RE: Grants for Hanicap?"
In response to Reply # 4

Why don't you try applying for the IdeaCafe's current grant? Unfortunately, you are competing for the grant, but it's worth a shot, right?

What most people don't tell you is that ANY grant money IS a competition.

I wish you great success...

Lisa

http://www.allthingscheesecake.com

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with cheesecake!

fishrangFri Feb-23-07 07:47 PM

#6. "RE: Grants for Hanicap?"
In response to Reply # 5

That was what brought me here to begin with. That was the first thing I did when I signed up with IdeaCafe. I applied for the grant they currently have going.

fishrang
www.halfmoonsales.com
sales@halfmoonsales.com

Lobby Financial Feast topic #150 Previous topic | Next topic