Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ingredients topic #96

Subject: "Top Excuses Businesses Use For Failure" Previous topic | Next topic
bizconsultantFri Feb-09-07 06:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Top Excuses Businesses Use For Failure"

I offer business development consulting services primarily on a performance basis, but even so, its a challenge to secure clients because business owners (startup and small) would rather operate from ego (I dont need help till I have failed) rather then practicallity. Some of the common excuses I see businesses hide behind (and I recoginize them all because I have used some at one point or another and I can admit it) are:

1) Not enough money - Top excuse, not reason, because if you are starting a business it is your responsibility to investigate your market and similar businesses to gauge how much capital it will take to carry you to a point of either breakeven or profitability.

2) To much competition - This excuse is used instead of acknowledging the honest reason "I have not made my brand diffrent enough from everyone elses to be noticed"

3) Bad employee's - If your employee's are stealing from you, are lazy, are unproductive, are insubordinate then the truth is, they are reflecting you/your stlye of management. This truth is hard to swallow because again, business owners often deal from a place of ego. There is more that goes into hiring then just a good resume. This knowledge alone can save business owners much time ,money and headache.

4) Service/Product has become obsolete - This will always be a factor, but not a reason. As time changes, so will the marketplace. It is every business owners responsibility to either adapt or change with it. Ex: If widget A used to sell lijke hotcakes but now everyone is buying widget B, why try to sell widget A at a discount instead of just updating your inventory to include widget B?

I named this post "Top Excuses" because while they may seem to be reasons, they can all be prevented or controlled. A reaosn implies that something is not within controll or can not be prevented.

I look forward to this new year of helping businesses overcome these excuses for failure and embrace an attitude and mindset of nothing but success.

Anthony Jones - Business Consultant
ABC Solutions
ajones@abcsolutions.cjb.net

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby
Lobby Biz Ingredients topic #96 Previous topic | Next topic