Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ingredients topic #136

Subject: "Which accounting system is better?" Previous topic | Next topic
joseph_675Tue May-01-07 12:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Which accounting system is better?"

Hi,

I am working as an IT manager at a small manufacturing business right now. They are currently using an archaic dos based accounting system. They have been using the same system for over 10 years, and they get by with it but they see it's time to update.

They are also using a very outdated inventory management system. I have proposed bringing in a complete ERP solution for them, and they are very into it. The only problem we're having now is deciding which accounting system to go with.

There's Accpac, but we don't really know very much about them, asides from the fact that it can go from moderately priced to very expensive in very little time.

Another option is Quickbooks, which seems much nicer priced for our business.

My question is what's so special about accpac? Where would I be losing out if I used Quickbooks along with a ERP software?

I'm very confused with this, and I hope someone will be able to help me out, or at least point me in the right direction.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Which accounting system is better?
May 01st 2007
May 19th 2007
Jun 01st 2007
Jun 13th 2007

ethan3546Tue May-01-07 06:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Which accounting system is better?"
In response to Reply # 0

Find out why it is the one and only accounting system that is enabling finance teams everywhere the freedom to leave the office by 5:00. Visit us today online at http://www.integritymbs.com/, or call us at 1(888) 869-4090 Ext.705
Our Services include Implementation, Support, Training, Data Conversions & More. Supporting NY, NJ, CT & PA.

Cheers,

jenettd1Sat May-19-07 02:09 PM

#2. "RE: Which accounting system is better?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi,

Which QuickBooks version are you considering? QuickBooks Enterprise is comparable to ERP software, so you may not have to buy separate ERP software to interface with it.
I don't know much about SAGE; however, I do know of other companies who use it and they are satisfied with it. I think it's scalable, where you buy the modules that you need now and are able to add more later; whereas Quickbooks isn't, you buy everything upfront even if you don't need it. It may still be cheaper in the long run to get Quickbooks.
Hope this helps.

Jenet T. Doubrare
President
Systems Knowledge Support, LLC
V/M: 877-850-5321
info@sks-llc.com
www.sks-llc.com

advancedstudioFri Jun-01-07 10:17 AM

#3. "RE: Which accounting system is better?"
In response to Reply # 0

contact www.cougarmountain.com they have some pretty good programs that should suit your needs.

Gynx Design.com :: Truly Innovative

equiprepWed Jun-13-07 02:13 PM

#4. "RE: Which accounting system is better?"
In response to Reply # 0

I have spent the last 13 years in manufacturing in various capacities from IT to sales for billion dollar companies to million dollar companies. The first question I have would be how much is the company expecting to spend on software and what is the estimated sales volume annually? I have reviewed many packages but if you can not come to an agreement on a budget for software you can't begin to start narrowing down accounting packages. In many instances software is modular today and fully integrated and you often do not have multiple software packages. Companies that have multiple software packages of various brand are usually very old companies with out dated systems taking band aid approaches to the problem. If you want some help reply back. I have done this before.

Lobby Biz Ingredients topic #136 Previous topic | Next topic