Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ingredients topic #126

Subject: "Starting a direct mail order catalog" Previous topic | Next topic
MaryDSat Apr-21-07 04:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Starting a direct mail order catalog"

I'm thinking of starting a direct mail order catalog, but I don't know where to go for help to put my catalog together. Also, is there a book or website that gives info on this topic? Thanks!
Mary

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Starting a direct mail order catalog
May 14th 2007
May 14th 2007
Jun 01st 2007
Jun 13th 2007
Jun 16th 2007
Jun 16th 2007

PhanntomMon May-14-07 11:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Starting a direct mail order catalog"
In response to Reply # 0

Mary..
First know that putting a catalog together is expensive. Your first one is going to be the worst because you have no basis. Succeeding ones are built off the first.

First identify all the items you want to carry in it and break out seasonal items into groups. You can do one general catalog that has everything and then either seasonal or holiday catalogs. Some companies only recover the basic catalog each year and add new items.

If it's going to be a 4-color catalog you'll need a good photographer, artist, and copywriter. In some cases manufacture's will provide you with transparencies or color separations which can reduce your cost significantly.

Once you have your first catalog done you'll know how to allot space for each product. Cost out every square inch of the catalog and determine your cost per sq. in. Then make sure each product is paying for it's space...if not, cut it back and add something else in that will pay for itself. The last catalog I did was I think a 38-page 4 color and it ran about $70k all inclusive.
Good luck
Denny

Denny

MaryDMon May-14-07 02:30 PM

#2. "RE: Starting a direct mail order catalog"
In response to Reply # 1

Thank you for your response. Your information was a great help. I use to own an online gift company and I was constantly asked to send a printed catalog. Because we had rapid product turnover, it wasn't cost effective to print one at that time.

Do you still produce a catalog? Do you remember how many catalogs you sent out the first time? Also, what is considered an average return ratio?
Thanks again for your help. It's greatly appreciated.
Mary

PhanntomFri Jun-01-07 08:20 AM

#3. "RE: Starting a direct mail order catalog"
In response to Reply # 2

Mary...

If recollection serves me correctly is was 48 page 4-color. The general rule of thumb is a blind mailing will return from 1 to 3%. A mailing to an actual customer list returns are much higher. We used to drop a certain number each months for about 3 months to avoid being overwhelmed with orders. Our mailing list was about 56,000 active. We'd print 100k which would cover our requests for catalogs from prospective customers.

As a side-bar. We made about $7k to $8k a month renting our list. It was a very specific, very current list to a high end clientele.

No I don't currently produce a catalog.
Hope this helps.

Denny

equiprepWed Jun-13-07 02:16 PM

#4. "RE: Starting a direct mail order catalog"
In response to Reply # 1

I often send my printing to china. I would print 10,000 copies at a time and they would come in delivered $1.25 delivered for a 4 color 88 page catalog. Less than 8,000 copies you want to do it domestically.

PhanntomSat Jun-16-07 10:04 AM

#5. "RE: Starting a direct mail order catalog"
In response to Reply # 4

Good info...gives a great baseline to figure from

Denny

MaryDSat Jun-16-07 11:03 AM

#6. "RE: Starting a direct mail order catalog"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks for all the great info. I appreciate everyone's help.

Lobby Biz Ingredients topic #126 Previous topic | Next topic