Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #97

Subject: "I have an idea! Is it good?" Previous topic | Next topic
nvdparkerThu Sep-14-06 05:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I have an idea! Is it good?"

I dont know if someone has thought of this or if it is a profitable business at all. I'd just like your thoughts on this.

Many companies spend loads of money for advertising, so why not give them space for advertising. I am not talking about huge boards in the middle of the road, but instead the cars.

First we get some major companies to pay for ads on cars as paint jobs. Next we pay car owners some of that money to get their cars painted with ads. We keep the difference.

Basically car owners would rent their car bodies as ad space to us. We would be agents between car owners and companies. We would have to get the cars painted and incur that cost.

Also, we could pay more to car owners if the car is attractive and/or if the ad is somewhat embarassing for eg. diapers, pink colors etc.

Tell me what you guys think.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: I have an idea! Is it good?
Aug 30th 2006
Sep 07th 2006
Sep 09th 2006
Sep 12th 2006
Sep 13th 2006
Oct 10th 2006

wwcap1Wed Aug-30-06 06:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: I have an idea! Is it good?"
In response to Reply # 0

This is being done sort of. Cars are really too small, unless you're talking about a large car, like a Chyrsler 300 with those tall and large sides. Most of the vehicles are at least SUV's or minivans.

Kent Capener
Capener Consulting, LLC

Mishka120Thu Sep-07-06 12:40 PM

#2. "RE: I have an idea! Is it good?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi there
Have you thought about using magnets to put on the cars at all instead of going to the expense of painting cars? These magnets could be as big as an A4 page with the business name printed on the magnet. I had two made up for my business and put them on the driver's side and passenger side of my car, and I am in the process of ordering some more because they worked so well. If you have the time to contact a fridge magnet company, they could possibly send some prices and the magnets themselves are not all that expensive to have made up. Hope this helps.

bizdevSat Sep-09-06 11:05 AM

#3. "RE: I have an idea! Is it good?"
In response to Reply # 2

I love seeing vehicles fully painted with a company's advertising. It's a great eye catcher.

Magnets...not so much. They're great for run of the mill advertising. I've used them, but have lost them to the wind too. But if you want to make a real impact, definately a full body paint job is much better.

Even though it's not a new idea, it's not an idea that has been done to death (yet). So, sure, research it, write a business plan and see if it's doable.

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

Penny BallouTue Sep-12-06 12:04 PM

#4. " RE: I have an idea! Is it good?"
In response to Reply # 0

It's not that it is not good it's just that it's not new.

In the town I live in, vehicles are plastered with commercial signs mimicing see-through signage that's all over buses.

Your idea is old...like several years out of date but it doesn't mean it's not a good idea because it was, it is, and it will continue to be as long as people are willing to pay the cost of having it done and take it in the shorts when they try to sell those vehicles.

NancyWed Sep-13-06 11:50 AM

#5. "RE: I have an idea! Is it good?"
In response to Reply # 0

Don't let the fact that an idea isn't new deter you from considering it. In marketing, there's a lot to be said for not trying to re-invent the wheel, no pun intended.

I think your idea has real potential. In my opinion, there will be no shortage of people willing to rent their car bodies for advertising. People are renting their foreheads.

You definitely have a lot to work out, though. Some cars will be many more times effective than others just based on where and how often they're driven, for instance.

This type of business would also lend itself to a lot of free publicity without even having to ask for it.

Here's a big plus - tracking the performance of advertising like this. I might not remember if I saw an ad in a newspaper. However, I'd remember seeing a Volkswagen that was painted to look like a frog.

Nancy

Cheap Advertising Ideas
http://www.CreateYourMarket.com

tobizTue Oct-10-06 06:20 AM

#7. "RE: I have an idea! Is it good?"
In response to Reply # 0

This has been tried before and without much success. I suggest trying to sell advertising on the side of buses. It is known as a full bus wrap. If this is of interest to you I have buses available that can be wrapped. We can work a deal on the price so we both would make money.

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #97 Previous topic | Next topic