Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #818

Subject: "i need help to find and start a small business" Previous topic | Next topic
lucky7Mon Feb-26-07 05:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"i need help to find and start a small business"

Hi my name is Ron
I have all ways wanted to be my own boss. Every time i get a good idea or a plan i talk my self out of it. For example i had a plan for a presssure washing business. when i looked for one for sale i found so many of them it made me worry if theirs is a market for it so i decided against it .i live in a very small town i am a young guy of only 21 so every time i ask for help people say your so young you got time . i have a house and a car to pay for my wife and i work alot of hrs to keep on top we are trying so hard to become successful . so if you could toss some ideas out we whould be very grateful god bless
Ron

yes i know i am young and dumb but i have set a gole to keep food on the table and a little money in the pocket .

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: i need help to find and start a small business
Feb 27th 2007
Feb 28th 2007
Feb 28th 2007
Feb 28th 2007
Mar 01st 2007
Mar 03rd 2007
Mar 06th 2007
Mar 06th 2007
Mar 15th 2007
Mar 17th 2007
Mar 20th 2007

lisasgourmetTue Feb-27-07 04:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: i need help to find and start a small business"
In response to Reply # 0

Ron:

Congrats on wanting to join the rest of us in small business!

First, take a moment and write down the various things you are interested in. Then, review your list. What things could you turn into a business? Narrow the list even further by selecting the items that you could see yourself doing for a while.

Now that you've got your "idea", start researching the viability. Living in a small town doesn't mean an idea can't work. If you live near a larger town/city, you could take the business there.

How do you research the viability? The easiest way is to start with a Small Business Development Center. YOu can talk with them by phone, in person or email. They are there to support future and current business owners with their business needs --- and they are free!

Being young is not a drawback to business. It justs means your learning curve may be a little larger -- but, by being young you may have a little more energy than the rest of us! HA HA!

All kidding aside, if you want something bad enough, you'll do what it takes to make it happen.

Good Luck to you!

Lisa
http://www.allthingscheesecake.com

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with cheesecake!

omarborregoWed Feb-28-07 07:44 AM

#2. "RE: i need help to find and start a small business"
In response to Reply # 0

Ron,

Lisa has a great point. The Small Business Development Center is a great resource. They are associated with local community colleges and with the SBA. Take advantage of resources like this. Especially the free ones.

My service is free as well. I speak to individuals all the time about franchise ownership. There are roughly 2500 different franchises out there. I think there is a franchise out there for everyone. The key is to analyze your short and long term goals. Find out what you like and dislike. Find out what you can afford. Huge monetary success will not happen over night. You need to have realistic expectations and keep working towards that long term goal.

This is how I consult my clients. We analyze all these factors and try to find a franchise that addresses their goals.

lucky7Wed Feb-28-07 08:17 AM

#3. "RE: i need help to find and start a small business"
In response to Reply # 2

thank you so much for your advise i will give it a shot as for franchise's arent the very costly . ron
yes i know i am young and dumb but i have set a goal to keep food on the table and a little money in the pocket .

DBeaversWed Feb-28-07 08:06 PM

#4. "RE: i need help to find and start a small business"
In response to Reply # 2

>Ron,
>
>My service is free as well. I speak to individuals all the
>time about franchise ownership. There are roughly 2500
>different franchises out there. I think there is a franchise
>out there for everyone. The key is to analyze your short and
>long term goals. Find out what you like and dislike. Find
>out what you can afford. Huge monetary success will not
>happen over night. You need to have realistic expectations
>and keep working towards that long term goal.
>
>This is how I consult my clients. We analyze all these
>factors and try to find a franchise that addresses their
>goals.

Hello Omar,

What about those clients who aren't suited to a franchise? What do you suggest for them? Not every has the money to buy-in on a franchise, as well as additional capital for setting up the business according to the franchise rules. Just the buy-in can be $10K to $500K, before the building rental, equipment, vehicle(s) if required, inventory, etc.

You could look into the B2B sales opportunity offered by Kaeser & Blair, Inc. This family-owned and operated business is over 110 years old. And they don't charge anyone for the privilege of selling for them.

I have been selling for them as an Independent Agent for the past 13 years, so have first hand knowledge of the company and the management. In those 13 years, they have only changed policies that made it better for the dealers. At the same time, their sales volume of promotional advertising products has grown from approximately $20 Million to over $76 Million - all by their self-employed dealers.

You might find a dozen or more clients you just couldn't recommend a franchise for (or who rejected your suggestion) over the past month or so. Why not consider an alternative.

The only problem I see for you is that because the opportunity is free, there's no franchise fee that you can get a percentage. Even 100% of zero is zero.

Dennis

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.
Full-time, home-based, self-empolyed since 1987.
Dealers needed-US residents only!

PepperfireThu Mar-01-07 06:12 AM

#5. "RE: i need help to find and start a small business"
In response to Reply # 4

I have a great "career" opportunity if you have the wherewithal to do it.

I run a food company, as you may already know, and we are constantly looking for commissioned sales reps. I also host a bulletin board/discussion forum for Gourmet food companies and many of them are also looking for representation.

The opportunity: Many of us will provide product specs, samples, marketing documents, training etc. for FREE, in exchange for an agency contract. If someone is willing to take on several food companies (all gourmet) and schlep the products to gourmet food stores, whole foods, small mom and pops size stores, etc. They could within a space of a week, have a portfolio of products they are repping.

I have two signed reps in the US, My VP, and another rep in Virginia. But that's it, so there is very little to no threat of territory overlap for most anyone reading this. I can't speak for the other gourmet food companies who you might also take on, but you'd be independent, you'd be working your own hours with no requirement or obligation to the gourmet food company.

Anyway, if you're interested in creating something like this for yourself (or simply in repping my products)... Feel free to email me.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

jerky4freeSat Mar-03-07 12:00 PM

#6. "RE: i need help to find and start a small business"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey Ron,

Ok, this is the Mom in me speaking...if this (yes i know i am young and dumb but i have set a gole to keep food on the table and a little money in the pocket) is your signature then you need to change it. You are 21, so yes you are young, but don't lower your self worth by saying you are dumb and change "gole" to goal. Ok, now that I got the Mom stuff out of my system let's look at what you can do.
You seem like you started off good by looking into the pressure washing business a little bit before you bought it so that makes me think you have a good head on your shoulders. We actually own a pressure washing business and let me tell you, even though it is good money sometimes it is hard work for my husband. If something involves a good chunk of money then you should look into it in detail.
We are actually are on the path of creating our other company to replace the pressure washing income. My hubby ran into medical issue this last year so we have to slow it down a pinch.
I will tell you what we do...our whole family is involved (from my 7 year old to my grandma). Since I have a 18 year old I actually teach her friends how to make money this way (now of course she doesn't have a house to pay since she is in college, but we have a house to pay). Since it only involves $12 it works for everyone.
There are many avenues you can look into when you are looking to make some money and the ones that I find the best are the ones that allow you to keep your present way of income until the "new venture" matches that. That is what this did for us, we still have our pressure washing business, but that won't be forever.
By the way if you ever do decide on that pressure washer business let me know and my hubby and I can give you some pointers.
Laura:P
Oh by the way, I use the website in my sig, but my kids use http://race4money.com

Laura
http://www.financialfreedomfamily.com
Families Helping Families
Helping each other get out of debt.

cartercoTue Mar-06-07 04:18 AM

#7. "RE: i need help to find and start a small business"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-06-07 04:19 AM by carterco

Hi Ron

I have found that if you are looking to start a business you need resources that are low cost or no cost and high profit. This would insure success. Companies that are in good standing with the Better Business Bureau are your best bet. They have good track records with safety and honesty.

Wayne A Carter
Webmaster Resources
http://www.linkbrander.com/go/28721

bizconsultantTue Mar-06-07 10:54 AM

#8. "RE: i need help to find and start a small business"
In response to Reply # 0

Well Ron..

I would just ask you what it is that you are passionate about doing. If you do a business just to make money, you can almost be assured of failure because the effort just wont be there. Alot of part time home businesses can definitely be started on a shoe string. Use a mapping process to include , what u like to do, what time u can devote, how much financially u can invest in it and what type of marketplace there exist locally for it..

Best of luck with it and if you need any further advise, feel free to email me

> Hi my name is Ron
>I have all ways wanted to be my own boss. Every time i get a
>good idea or a plan i talk my self out of it. For example i
>had a plan for a presssure washing business. when i looked for
>one for sale i found so many of them it made me worry if
>theirs is a market for it so i decided against it .i live in a
>very small town i am a young guy of only 21 so every time i
>ask for help people say your so young you got time . i have a
>house and a car to pay for my wife and i work alot of hrs to
>keep on top we are trying so hard to become successful . so if
>you could toss some ideas out we whould be very grateful god
>bless
> Ron
>
>
>
>yes i know i am young and dumb but i have set a gole to keep
>food on the table and a little money in the pocket .

Anthony Jones - Business Consultant
ABC Solutions
ajones@abcsolutions.cjb.net

BmasterThu Mar-15-07 03:19 AM

#9. "RE: i need help to find and start a small business"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Ron,

All of us there where in this situation too. And not only young guys like you, but also professional entrepreneurs like me and others. 9 months ago I was looking to start new business too, because my previous biz was already established and running well, so I decided to start another one just to advance my business skills. You can look at here http://www.squidoo/bmaster to find out more about my crazy idea to sell... air. I really do that, because everyone on the earth need air. Clean air...

Have a nice day,
Andrew
tav@bmaster.com.ua

Roseb441702Sat Mar-17-07 05:44 PM

#10. "RE: i need help to find and start a small business"
In response to Reply # 0

> Hi my name is Ron
>I have all ways wanted to be my own boss. Every time i get a
>good idea or a plan i talk my self out of it. For example i
>had a plan for a presssure washing business. when i looked for
>one for sale i found so many of them it made me worry if
>theirs is a market for it so i decided against it .i live in a
>very small town i am a young guy of only 21 so every time i
>ask for help people say your so young you got time . i have a
>house and a car to pay for my wife and i work alot of hrs to
>keep on top we are trying so hard to become successful . so if
>you could toss some ideas out we whould be very grateful god
>bless
> Ron
>
>
>
>yes i know i am young and dumb but i have set a gole to keep
>food on the table and a little money in the pocket .

I agree with a lot of people that have replied here. Find something that you love to do. You have to realize that those that have started their own business didn't "wave a magic wand" and then all of a sudden they had a successful business.

I bet that you also didn't realize that having a computer (I'm assuming here that you have your own computer) is a very good tool to have when you want to start your own business. I'm currently working with a client that doesn't have a computer of his own (he uses the one at the local library) so you have to realize that you have more to work with than you think.

Again it all comes down to the matter of what you are interested in. If you're looking for a way to make "fast" cash then the fastest way to make money is to find a need and fill it. Businesses such as dog-walking, starting a daycare or cleaning business have always been suggested as good businesses to start because there is always a need for these kinds of services. Look around your area - what is there a need for? Yard-work, running errands......

If you're talking about doing work that is less physically demanding like working on your computer then there are things you can do. some of the most profitable websites are (sad but true) the adult sex websites. It is not everybody's cup of tea but it is enough that sites like these make more than enough to live off of. Fortunately its not just sex that sells. I know of a college student who made a million dollars simply by having a website that lets other people advertise on it. I know a guy who started a gambling site and he has more money than he can ever spend.

You must have some kind of interest or hobby or thing that you like to do and if you think that none of those can be turned into a profitable business then you are wrong. And as far as being "dumb" is concerned have you heard about those ".......for Dummies" books? They made a lot of money!

People are making money buying and selling on Ebay. People are making money by having blogs that have advertising on them.

What you can do is do one of the things that I mentioned above as far as finding a need and while you are making money doing that that will give you time to figure out what it is that you really want to do.

Rose
Grant Basics 101
http://grantbasics101.bravehost.com/grants.htm

chiaraTue Mar-20-07 01:25 AM

#11. "RE: i need help to find and start a small business"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Ron

I advise you to decide on starting just something that requires very little investment, to see how it all goes. Thus you'll be able to decide for yourself what are you good at, and are you disciplined enough to start your own business..

I'm not sure if you have an eye for web design and structure, but I can invite you to join the reseller program of SiteKreator (sitekreator.com). We anyway offer a 1 month free trial, I suppose within that time you will find out whether you can generate clients or not. Basically what you can do with this reseller program is build sites based on SiteKreator for your clients. Since you don't need any computer skills to make these websites, you'll only need to have a good feel for the website appearance that your clients will like, and structure the content they will provide you. From then on the clients will be able to update the sites themeselves, and you will only collect their monthly fee..At first you can sell the sites for a very small margin, and as you become better you can increase your prices..

After the first trial month there is a monthly fee paid for your program, and even though it's small it would be good to decide until then if you want to do this or not..

I advise you to try..anyway there's hardly anything else that you will be able to try to free and see if you want to go for such business or not.

My principle is to always go for your ideas, even if they are the craziest ones, unless they cost you too much..

Contact either me or the support of sitekreator if you want to try the reseller option.

Good luck! And congratulations for your desire to start your own business at this age!

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #818 Previous topic | Next topic