Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #763

Subject: "Gift basket/bag shop" Previous topic | Next topic
alwaysblessedFri Feb-09-07 11:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Gift basket/bag shop"
Fri Feb-09-07 11:43 AM by alwaysblessed

Hello all cyberschmoozers!!

I have an idea for a gift basket/bag store. The idea is of a store where you can walk in and choose X amount of gift items, the type of basket or bag you would like, and have it nicely put together for you while you enjoy complimentary drinks and snacks. There will also be options to purchase pre-made gift baskets/bags. Prices would be based on the number and type of items you choose or a set amount if you are purchasing a pre made basket/bag. The atmosphere will be more like a spa instead of a cheap Dollar store. I have been thinking about this for the past year or two, but I would love some feedback from others besides my family.

Thanks,
Lars

Thank God that I am Always Blessed

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Gift basket/bag shop
Feb 13th 2007
Feb 13th 2007
Feb 21st 2007
Feb 25th 2007
Mar 12th 2007
Mar 12th 2007

bizdevTue Feb-13-07 07:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Gift basket/bag shop"
In response to Reply # 0

Gift basket businesses are extremely competitive. Most are worked from home to keep the overhead costs low. If you are thinking of a brick and mortar shop your expenses will be sky high. And aiming for a spa like atmosphere will be that much more expensive. Giving away free drinks and snacks? Yet more expenses.

You would need to stock plenty of inventory and a large variety to handle your walk in customers. Again, expensive.

Write up your business plan so you can list all your expenses (rent, utilities, payroll, racking, shelving, lighting, furniture, decor, pos system, advertising, inventory, supplies, taxes,...) and your funding needs. Write up your marketing plans and study your competition. What initially sounds fun and exciting can become unfeasable in reality.

Try to scale down your plan if you find it is not doable. I offer lots of ideas for gift basket businesses at my site:
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz/moms/

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

ElleBlueTue Feb-13-07 06:17 PM

#2. "RE: Gift basket/bag shop"
In response to Reply # 0

It sounds like a good idea, but you will need to have other goods and services to make the business generate profit year round. Perhaps you could sell a skin care, hair care and makeup line that is reasonably priced, so people will use your products regularly. Also, you will need to hire professionals in the make-up and skin care fields. This will cost big bucks, so you will need to write your business plan and apply for loans and grants. Also, make proposals to potential investors, who might also want to invest in a gift basket shop.

Best Regards,
Elle

www.grafusion.biz

If you plan to open a business, visit my blog. Sound advice for the entrepreneur.
www.ellescorner.com

happyslobWed Feb-21-07 06:34 AM

#3. "RE: Gift basket/bag shop"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Lars,

I love this idea! Instead...I think you should just have all the stuff and then let people do it themselves! It would save time and effort on your part, and people would feel more involved in the creative process.

I think it's a fantastic idea. In the nice kitchen shop where I work part-time we're ALWAYS getting people in looking for things to add to a gift bag, so I think your idea is a great one.

Take care,
Christina

The Happy Slob's Guide to Housecleaning
http://www.happyslob.com

threeesixteenSun Feb-25-07 06:28 PM

#4. "RE: Gift basket/bag shop"
In response to Reply # 0

Sounds like a good idea, what about a web site to promote your business as well? Come and visit my web site to get this set up.
http://website.ws/threeesixteen
click the sign up now for free link in the upper left hand corner, this will give you a free 7 day trial, after that you are billed $10 a month
Thanks Julenne

CamMon Mar-12-07 09:51 AM

#5. "RE: Gift basket/bag shop"
In response to Reply # 0

I think you have a wonderful idea, but I would also agree that you should allow the customers to choose their gifts and create their own their own gift baskets. You could do like little workshops in the back with kids and parents and let them create their own baskets.

-Cameo
www.hipmamaclub.com

ljustforme2Mon Mar-12-07 08:11 PM

#6. "RE: Gift basket/bag shop"
In response to Reply # 0

Hello Lars..

I think its a great idea.. I think you will need a large inventory also. You will need gourmet foods, try for starters qcu.com... bath products .. try a company name pendergrass for that. etc. Most of your products should be inexpensive. Your average best seller basket may be from 30 - 40 dollars. I think if you work hard and get your name out there, people would love it. Someone wrote in another response that you should have something for the children. I agree with that big time!!!!! I don't like McDonalds but I have contributed a pretty penny there,, why? because of the children. I wish you well, and great success

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #763 Previous topic | Next topic