Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #740

Subject: "Transportation services for the disabled and elders" Previous topic | Next topic
sugarbabzMon Feb-05-07 06:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Transportation services for the disabled and elders"

I'd like to start a transportation business for the Elders and Disabled. The main objective of the business would be to provide them with transportation to their doctor appointments or meetings they have to attend regarding their health.

How would I go about contacting health insurance companies about this and what is the demand for this kind of service? Also what kind of licensing would I have to get in order for this to happen?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Transportation services for the disabled and elders
Feb 05th 2007
Feb 12th 2007
Aug 30th 2007

STANSPECMon Feb-05-07 07:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Transportation services for the disabled and elders"
In response to Reply # 0

Good idea. They make good money if you have over 5 vehicles. There is a commercial carrier's license for any transportation of the public. Call all health plans to get on their list of approved carriers-that's the easy part. They will authorize certain level of payments which usually are adequate to turn a buck. You then have to get their clients to call you instead of the other competitors in town. That's the hard part and it involves phone book ads, independent living facilities posters and hundreds of other methods.

Stan Spector
585 4611272

jd59Mon Feb-12-07 08:14 AM

#2. "RE: Transportation services for the disabled and elders"
In response to Reply # 0

Hello,

I happen to be a former blind business person and sometimes need to rely on paratransit for doctor?s appointments, job interviews, etc. There seems to be widespread dissatisfaction among the blind community about many paratransit services across the country. I have experienced first-hand not getting picked up on time, (sometimes 1-1/2 hours after agreed upon time span). Another idea for you would be to contact your state?s commission for the blind, associations for the blind and other blind organizations, such as local ACB or NFB chapters, etc. I?ll bet that if you get the opportunity to talk with several blind paratransit users and VR counselors, you will not only get some important feedback as to how to improve upon their current transportation needs, but also, gain many potential clients in the process.

eandersonThu Aug-30-07 05:10 AM

#3. "RE: Transportation services for the disabled and elders"
In response to Reply # 0

Hello sugarbabz,

I bumped into your question and I have a great friend that started this type of business and he is making a literal killing at it. I remember when he got his first van and now years later he has a fleet of different vans, and mini-buses with his company logo splashed over the every vehicle.

He would be the perfect person for you to contact because he is in the trenches doing this business everyday. He also wrote an ebook about this subject entitled ?How To Build A Million Dollar Medical Transportation Business? and this is his website so you can contact him personally: http://urlfreeze.com/medbill/L-312c/

Good Luck,

Earl

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #740 Previous topic | Next topic