Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #737

Subject: "Looking for feedback.re: a free online timesheet network" Previous topic | Next topic
timeXchangeSun Feb-04-07 08:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Looking for feedback.re: a free online timesheet network"
Sun Feb-04-07 08:15 AM by timeXchange

Our site is free, so I am not selling anything. If you provide services and track you time to produce timesheets or invoices, I'd like to hear from you. We have built an online network of service providers and the employers, clients, administrators and managers they interact with. The idea is to allow people to interact in a social business network to exchange time reporting.

Two questions; (for people who use timesheets)

1. Would you use a network vs. an application to report time?

2. If yes, what would you like to be able to do?

Thank you in advance to everyone who responds. Your input is invaluable.

Joe Piekarz
www.timeXchange.net
joep@actustech.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Looking for feedback.re: a free online timesheet network
Feb 04th 2007
Feb 05th 2007
Feb 05th 2007

grafmanSun Feb-04-07 07:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Looking for feedback.re: a free online timesheet network"
In response to Reply # 0

I haven't been to your site but I can give you a laundry list of features that I look for. I use an internal network web application to track time with contractors and remote employees and we love it. At some point though we'll grow out of what we are using.

Multiple projects

multiple rates based on type of task and billing codes

client information tracking and ability for clients to track their time on a project or task and as though they were an employee just with special considerations

Provide the ability to "sell" blocks of time and track it on both the client and subscriber side as in service agreements or to track minimum time obligations.

Ability to distinguish when time goes from prepaid time to a new level based on thresholds

change billing rates to accommodate traditional employment rules and regulations (nights, weekends, over time, etc.)

Ability to "approve" times put in before any permanent record is made on select accounts or user profiles

Multiple locations and groups

Employee, Lead, Manager, and director levels of admin

Invoicing and statements

Ability to block out certain times where people CAN'T report work

Auditing so any changes, exceptions, or tampering is immediately logged and becomes legal evidence (database triggers are the best way)

Multiple level authentication, blocking IP's or IP ranges

time->revenue (t/r) tracking by project

t/r tracking by class of project

multiple increment break out based on class of task 10, 15, 20, 30, and 1 hour increments

Automatic time additions based on class of task ie: add 1 hour or half an hour of travel time automatically to field service calls

reporting by employee, project, class, department, division, etc.

export data to popular payroll software or provide interfaces to payroll software

Import data from PDA's, spreadsheets, and a system client

ability to update from web enabled phone or PDA

management "dash board" feature that gives reporting based on several time intervals and employee classes

History tracking and data backups to a client owned database/spreadsheet

Sick time and down time tracking (probably could be handled in work classes, but the reporting would be different)

Milestone tracking by sending notices to customers/managers when certain blocks of time are reached

Team time tracking

If you wanted to get really fancy you could provide some estimation tools based on past performance of a job or task class and matching some type of skill measurement to a task

Give me some time and I'll think of more.

"Things are difficult only while you don't understand them."

timeXchangeMon Feb-05-07 04:43 AM

#2. "RE: Looking for feedback.re: a free online timesheet network"
In response to Reply # 1

Grafman,

This is great feedback. Thanks. Much of what you list is already part of the offering, but you also point out some other nice features we think are spot on to our user's needs/wants.

One specific question if you don't mind. We think the administration (adding/deleting) of users by a single account (such as an admin) is counter productive as compared to a peer-to-peer invitation process (i.e. a user invites other users to the project who in turn accept or reject the invitation). Do you see any flaws in our logic?

Thanks again for your comments.

Joe

grafmanMon Feb-05-07 10:44 AM

#3. "RE: Looking for feedback.re: a free online timesheet network"
In response to Reply # 2

Why not provide both? In the project situations I'm working in I run into times where it would be good to have both. I want to be able to assign someone and not give them a chance to refuse me. On the other hand there are many times when I would invite someone as in your peer to peer model.

Doubles your market, and it provides another feature for you checklist of "toys" you offer.

"Things are difficult only while you don't understand them."

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #737 Previous topic | Next topic