Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #70

Subject: "Vegetable and Fruits" Previous topic | Next topic
KleenFri Aug-25-06 03:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Vegetable and Fruits"

I went to a farmers market yesterday and I was surprised to see people rolling and leaving. It seemed nobody spent more than 5 minutes.
This experience just made me revisit my idea to retail vegetable and fruits. I know a warehouse where I can get the fruits and vegetables but I dont know how to pursue the idea. As in, should I open a store or can I setup a tent in a parking lot or what? I am sure I am not capable of renting a store right now since I dont know how this would work out for me.
One more thing is it because the fruits and vegetables are fresh that people are buying or people just like fruits.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Vegetable and Fruits
Aug 29th 2006
Dec 01st 2006
Dec 12th 2006

PepperfireTue Aug-29-06 07:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Vegetable and Fruits"
In response to Reply # 0

There is an organic farmer who has set up a tent at Finnegan's, the local Farmer's Market/Antiques market where we have been selling our hot sauces. At the first couple of markets, the reason they were selling, is because the fruits and vegetables were so fresh, since then, most of what they sell is because the quality is fantastic, so the customers come back week after week to see what is in season.

If you decide to do something like this with outlet bought veggies (I imagine that the outlet you describe is the city vegetable exchange?) you might want to mix them up so that you don't always have the same veggies, that way people will come to see what you have that's new and interesting this week.

I would provide pamphlets with ideas for unique and interesting fruits and vegetables... for example, if the Kumquaats looked good, I'd have a couple of kumquaat recipes available... You get the idea?

-- Just my thoughts. I hope they help.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

teriFri Dec-01-06 05:37 PM

#2. "RE: Vegetable and Fruits"
In response to Reply # 0

I have a fruit and vegetable store and it's alot of work! Our store is extremely profitable, but it is hard to get alot of time off due to the fact that the merchandise is highly perishable and it is nearly impossible to keep track of inventory. I would gladly sell you my store, but it is probably worth more than you would be able to come up with.

Brian_VaTue Dec-12-06 03:34 AM

#3. "RE: Vegetable and Fruits"
In response to Reply # 0

Some questions I routinely ask myself: Is it already being done? How can I do it better? Is it a beat market? Is it seasonal? Limitations?

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #70 Previous topic | Next topic